Thursday, January 08, 2009

An interesting ending



This fall I purchased SILKS by Dick Francis and his son Felix Francis. As frequent readers of this blog can attest, I am a bigtime Dick Francis fan. I have all of his fiction. (43 novels)

The story was most interesting, but the ending left me with a feeling of disappointment. Not because it wasn't action-packed enough, but because the hero made a decision that I felt crossed a line I wouldn't have. I've read the book twice now (told you I was a fan) and on the second readthrough, I realized that the hero didn't cross a line that violated his own code of ethics, just mine.

I've been thinking a lot about endings lately. I tend to rush my endings, building up to a major KAPOW ending, but quite often leaving the story not quite finished. I also need to make sure that the story ends in a way that is both logical and doesn't violate my code of ethics just because it is expedient.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent observation how we project our feelings, etc. onto a character and may not be happy with the author's ending because it doesn't jive with our vision.

    Maybe that's why I have a hard time getting through some books. I can't seem to identify with the hero/heroine. I wouldn't handle the situation like that, etc.

    ReplyDelete