Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pursuing Holiness--sorta

In Sunday School, since the study on Respectable Sins didn't quite do me in entirely, we're studying The Pursuit of Holiness. How riddled with sin can one person be??? Where is this holiness to be found, and what do you do with it once you've seen it?

Which got me to thinking about this verse: Psalm 63:8 (King James Version)

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

God promises that if we seek Him, He will be found. That it is through His power that we are able to know Him at all, and He will sustain us on this journey. All we have to do is seek...follow hard...after Him.

I've come to the conclusion that I am spiritually ADD. Rather than following hard after God, clinging to Him and His holy ways, my pursuit of holiness more closely resembles one of the kids from the Family Circus on his way to get the mail. I mean to follow hard after God and pursue holiness but then I wind up chasing butterflies, or playing hopscotch, or kicking an empty can, or following an inchworm and trying to measure if they really do move one inch at a time. Or perhaps I'm just trying to see how slow I can walk without actually falling over...oh wait, that's a whole other story from my childhood. See how easily distracted I am?

Have I ever followed hard after God? If so, for how long? I can't even pray for 5 minutes without some little sparkly idea leading me off task. And I find myself having to really concentrate to read Scripture, lest the study notes or the cross references or the cool rustly sound of the pages distract me.

My mind pounces on distractions like a monkey on a cupcake.

Am I alone in this?


2 comments:

  1. You're sooo not alone. I also love the cool rustly sound of the onion skin pages =) I suppose if it were easy we wouldn't have to be reminded so many times in scripture to do so. We all know it's good for us! Maybe it's like any other beneficial discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me, speaking from a Heathen's point of view (-; it's not so much about the end of the journey, but the journey itself. Each of those side trips changes and shapes us, teaches us lessons and helps us grow even if we occasionally follow the wrong tangent.

    ReplyDelete