Thursday, February 19, 2009

An Award and Revisions



First of all, Thank you to CJ at The Compost Heap for awarding me the Kreativ Blogger Award.


I'm passing the award to:




Jess Ferguson (whose blog posts always make me THINK)



You girls rock, are creative bloggers, and good friends. I am truly blessed.


In other news:


My very first editor revision letter arrived yesterday with revisions for The Bartered Bride. I don't know what I was expecting, but what I got was wonderful.


But first, back up the truck. I want to give huge props to Colleen Coble (and I emailed her yesterday about this--and she replied! I felt honored and rewarded.) Several times on the ACFW loop the questions of editor/author relationship and revisions have come up. Each time, Colleen has said that the receipt of editor revision letters makes her dance around the room with joy. She realizes that the relationship with her editor is a partnership with a goal of turning out the best book possible. The revisions aren't an attack of her work, but the learned and skillful polishing of a professional that knows how to turn out a good product. She taught me, well in advance of it actually happening, how to respond to editor revisions.


With that in mind, I opened my revision documents, and was thrilled at the suggestions. (Though a couple made me wince with a "How did I miss that?" metaphorical slap to my forehead.) Yay to JoAnne Simmons and Rachel Overton for being so nice in their edits.


And yay to Georgiana Daniels and Kaye Dacus, who read and edited this manuscript first. I know there'd be a lot more work to do if you hadn't been so thorough in critiques.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a winner, I'm a winner! LOL, thanks =)

    And truly, the pleasure is mine in reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too, too sweet to me. And can I say I'm just a little envious of your crit group. :)

    Thanks for the award. I love winnin' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how many calories are burned virtual happy dancing with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the award!!! =)

    And thanks for the post on remembering edits are good things! I got my revisions today too for my sequel with LI and they were a little daunting. I needed that reminder!

    They will definitely make the book better.

    And I definitely need a time warp to turn them in completed in 39days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep reminding myself that I don't have to fix everything in one day, and that it would be better if I didn't try. I'm going to do this one bite at a time. One chapter at a time.

    We can do this, Betsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you'd like some advice on how to tackle those edits, here's what I do. First I fix the little typo things. Like where I have my hero with brown eyes when he has blue. LOL That kind of thing. On my notes, my editor makes a note of the page number. That way the problems are easier to find before I start messing with paragraphs and scenes.

    Then I go through and address character issues. Ideas my editors give me to strengthen the characterization. Then I start on plot issues. Plan to take your time. you usually have a couple of weeks, at least. It doesn't all have to be done at once. :-)

    Happy editing! I'm turning in a book Mar 1 and looking forward to getting my letter later in the month. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Erica, for the award. I'm humbled and hanging my head since I've been very non-creative the last couple of months with my blog. You inspire me to do better, so for that, I thank you.
    Yay, on the good edit revision letter. Wow! That brings it all a little closer to holding your book in your hands, doesn't it.
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete