Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Not really a weigh in...



This isn't a weigh in per se, but it is a bit of an update. My mother-in-law is battling cancer, and in the past months we've spent time at the Mayo Clinic in the oncology department, the chemotherapy lab, and radiation departments. Everyone there has been so super.

One of the blessings in the midst of this storm has been the organization Join The Journey. This local organization is made up fo people whose lives have been touched by Breast Cancer. As a ministry to the visitors in the oncology department of the Mayo Clinic, they give gifts of grocery store and gas station gift cards, as well as hats/caps/scarves/bandanas etc. and support and literature.

Join the Journey has a fundraising and encouragement walk each year. They walk ten miles to raise money to provide these gifts to those going through the pain and desolation of cancer. I can't tell you how encouraged we have been by these simple gifts. Something to smile about, something to celebrate.

I had hoped to participate in the walk this year, but I will be out of town when the walk is held. But if you are in Rochester in September, consider joining in the walk. Consider a donation to Join the Journey or another cancer support group in your area to help breast cancer victims who are in the fight of their lives.

Last night, as a part of my own journey to better health, I walked a 5K on the treadmill.

4 comments:

  1. Good job on the walking! 5K is awesome =) We're going for a walk today too, and I'm hoping I don't have to carry one or both babies on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowser, that would be quite a workout! I whine if I have to carry a water bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki Tiede12:56 PM

    We are big Join the Journey fans at our house. Last year we walked for (and with) my friend Emma. It was an amazing day and we've committed to making it a tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful organization.

    ReplyDelete