Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jimmy John's

This past week was a hectic one as I spent a great deal of time with my MIL at the hospital. Her surgery went well, and she is home now. We're very thankful for this. Hopefully the procedure she had done will help alleviate some of her considerable pain, as well as increase her safety.
My SIL and I, often in need of sustenance while at the hospital, made forays to a new sandwich place I'd seen, but never been inside of. Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches. Since I'm not much of a gourmet, I'd never been inside, though I loved the neon sign in the window that announced "Free Smells."
Linda and I decided to brave the new place. (I'm always uncertain about eating in a new restaurant. When I don't know the menu, I stand there like a dork trying to make up my mind what to get.) Anyway, we got in the door, and as you can see from the photo, you can go right or left, and as soon as you get inside, a crew of people all say hello.
Since the only thing I recognized on the menu at first glance was BLT, that's what I ordered. And I had barely gotten the words out when someone was motioning to me at the end of the counter with my finished and well-wrapped sub sandwich. Lightning fast! And boy, howdy, was it yummy!
The third time we ate there, their speed had gotten to me to the point where I felt like I had to order fast because they would prepare it fast. Get the money out fast, move down the line fast, yikes!!!
The restaurant is tiny, with some booths and high-top tables. Linda and I perched at the high-tops and read the funny signs hanging on all the walls. It was therapeutic after the hospital room, though the "I Believe" sign had some truths on it that made me wince a little.
Anybody ever been to a Jimmy John's? Or had a restaurant turn out to be a pleasant surprise or oasis in a trying time?

6 comments:

  1. Nope. I guess they don't have any in AZ. I do so love a good sandwich, unlike the tunafish I made yesterday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a yummy place, I will go there again. But I will never go there without thinking of you. And we have to go back sometime and finish reading the signs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! Never heard of them. We got a new sandwich cafe here not too long ago - Newk's. AMAZING! And they have pizzas and salads and soup and.....oh yes. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun place. Free smells! How fun in neon. I couldn't sit at the high top unless I had a step stool to get up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Jimmy Johns! we have one down the street from us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris and I love Jimmy John's! There are a couple of locations here in Lawrence. I love the "Free Smells" sign, too. They have a cute ad campaign with the slogan "subs so fast you freak." They are mostly radio ads, but they are all very clever. Glad you found an unexpected surpirse during a difficult time!

    If you ever go back, the Hunter's Club is yummy. Chris always gets the Italian Night Club (with peppers).

    ReplyDelete