Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Movie Date

This past weekend, my husband took me out to a movie and lunch for Mother's Day. We went to see Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. Funny, light, enjoyable, very much a chick flick. (Face it, Matthew M. is pretty easy on the eyes.) I had a great time, saw plenty of things coming in this movie, but didn't mind. I was actually a little proud of myself for seeing the plot and structure of the movie, the epiphany moment, the rising conflicts, etc. Made me feel like I might finally be getting the hang of this GMC/Plot and Structure thingy.
The theatre was terrific too, stadium seating, plush chairs, lots of legroom. And through all the opening previews, Peter and I were the only folks in the room. I chose to sit in the top row with my back to the wall, since I hate having people sitting behind me during a film. They're forever kicking the back of my chair.
As the opening credits of the film rolled, however, three ladies laden with Big Gulp sized sodas and popcorn/nachoes/milk duds/ju-ju-bees came in. And where do you think they sat? In the row RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. 400 seats to choose from, and they have to sit close to us. Sigh. Not another soul came in to see the 11:50 matinee. Just the five of us. And Peter was the only guy. He's such a good sport. Then we had a nice lunch, an extra treat since we'd gone out on date night the night before.The next day, he had to blow off the lingering estrogen dust, and watch a John Wayne film. A Manly one. Allegheny Uprising. Lots of shooting, and war, and buckskins.
Next we'll go see the new Star Trek movie, after which I'll probably need to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding or While You Were Sleeping.
When we take the kids to see Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, I'll probably need to watch Night at the Museum again.
What movies have you seen, will you see, and were they guy films or girl films?

13 comments:

  1. I just watched Marley and Me. Very traumatic experience. I went and hugged my black lab, Bubba, for about an hour afterward.

    I'm not a huge movie watcher. It has to be something REALLY good to get me to sit and watch for two hours. I think I'm movie ADD or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love movies mostly action/adventure, Westerns and certainly John Wayne. Not much of a chick flick watcher though surprisingly I enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada. Big Fat Greek Wedding is another favorite but more because I lived that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Himself won't do chick flicks so give your DH a gold star and another dose of JW

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to Star Trek on Mother's Day and all 4 of us loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad, but Twilight is hugely big me with right now. We don't go out to the theatre often. Maybe three times a year. Too costly with three teen girls to take. They go with their friends instead and we act as chaufers.

    I like the swapping of chik flick , manly type idea. Might have to run that by hubby.

    Glad you had a great mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw that movie on our date night at the beach! SO GOOD! I loved it and felt the same way y did about figuring it out =) The 80's ghost was SO funny. And I just love Matthew M and Jennifer Garner together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it supposed to be a take-off of A Christmas Carol? Do you think that's why you were able to guess what was coming?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, I'm steering clear of Marley and Me. I know I'll be bawling.


    Maybe you're more like my daughter. She can hardly sit still for a movie, but she will read books for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, CJ, I've got a keeper in my husband. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eileen, I hear you about the price of movies. We go to the matinee to save a few bucks, and we don't buy anything from the snack counter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Linda, we'll have to compare notes on ST soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy, I think the 80's chick was hilarious, and by far the most memorable female in the film, eclipsing even Jennifer Garner. Jennifer didn't make that much of an impression on me. I loved the assistant too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sally, I'm sure the framework of the story made the story somewhat predictable. But I was proud of myself for being able to pick out the ephiphany moment for Connor Mead, and I picked out Chekov's gun in the early scenes too. :D This was big for me since I usually let that stuff go by while watching the movie and only dissect it later, if then. Maybe I'm getting the hang of the structure of a satisfying story at last!

    ReplyDelete