Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Slow and steady

I'm almost finished with the final read-through of Clara and the Cowboy. I don't know why, but this read-through has taken me a long time. Much longer than I anticipated. Which makes me ask - WHY?

I have a couple of theories.

1. Busy, busy time of year. Orthodontist appointments, driving school hours, award ceremonies, lifeguard recertification, piano recitals, graduation parties, bridal showers...seems like there's something every day. May has been a really busy month.

2. Reading with better educated eyes. Having been through a couple of content edits now, I'm really working to avoid any descriptive errors, klunky sentences, places where I'm unclear. My goal is to make my story the best it can be.


I'd like to be a rabbit and hop through this content edit, but I'm more of a tortoise. But as they say, "slow and steady wins the race." I'm not so much concerned with winning as finishing well.

What project are you working on, and do you feel like a tortoise or a hare?

9 comments:

  1. Great post! Right now, as I am moving my way through revising/editing my WIP, I definitely feel like a tortoise! I'm hoping to finish strong too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! The fact that it's going a bit slower this time is probably a combination of all those factors. At least you know what to look for ahead of time for your content edits, which should make what comes down the road easier.

    PS. I'm working on...er...nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I'm a tortoise too. But in the end, I'd rather be thorough than try to rush through a project and then find I was sloppy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, very much a tortoise, like you with all my edits and even writing. Scenes seem to take me so much longer to write now, too. And I think it's because I know more now, too. Writing well isn't a quick thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the queen of the tortoises! Slow and steady, though, does pay off if you keep at it. I like revising better than first drafts, and right now I'm slogging through a first draft (less than 20K to go).
    Working through the interruptions is a challenge, but you'll get there, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, we can all be tortoises together! At least we won't be eating each other's dust!

    I finally turned in Clara and the Cowboy late last night. Yay! One May goal reached.

    Now its back to Lily and the Lawman. I'm smack in the middle of a pivotal scene that I've envisioned from the very beginning. I hope I can do justice to the scene in my head and somehow translate it to the page.

    Forward together, fellow tortoises!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reworking my manuscript. It was completed, but I cut most of it and have started over. I'd say I'm like the tortoise because I have very little writing time at the moment. I'm a stay-at-home mom of twins.

    Lynnette Labelle

    ”Lynnette Labelle’s Blog”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Lynette, you are a busy girl. I don't know how moms of young kids manage it all. My kids are teens, pretty self-sufficient, and I still find it hard to juggle everything.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erica,
    Thank you for your warm congrats today over on my path! And, yes, I totally feel like a tortoise. I definitely want to craft the best story possible and believe in going slow to get just the right words! But how does that work in the world of deadlines! I guess I'll soon find out, right? :)

    ReplyDelete