Tuesday, June 09, 2009

A Blessing in so many ways


I knew from the first page I was going to love this book.
Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes
When a mammogram result comes back abnormal, midlife mama Summer Finley makes a snap decision to relegate fear to the back burner and fulfill a lifelong dream. Summer heads for Holland where she meets up with tulips, wooden shoes, and her best friend, Noelle.

Pen pals since fourth grade, Summer and Noelle have never met face-to-face. Through decades of heart-level correspondence, they have sustained a deep friendship. A week of adventure helps both women trade anxiety for a renewed and deeper trust in God. When Summer confides in Noelle about the abnormal medical report, Noelle finds the freedom to share a long-held heartache, and both women discover they needed each other more than they realized.

Women ages 35 and up, readers of Christian Boomer Lit, and fans of books such as The Yada Yada Prayer Group will enjoy Robin Jones Gunn’s humorous and uplifting style. True-to-life characters and moments of poignancy bring a deeper understanding of the value of life and the gift of true friends. Readers guide and bonus material included.


Author Bio: Robin Jones Gunn is the best-selling and award-winning author of over seventy books, including the Glenbrooke, Christy Miller, Sierra Jensen, Katie Weldon, and Christy and Todd: The College Years teen series. The Sisterchicks® series has sold more than 300,000 units, bringing her total sales to more than 3.5 million books worldwide. A Christy Award winner, Robin is a popular speaker, both at home and abroad, and is frequently interviewed on radio and on television. http://www.robingunn.com/ http://www.sisterchicks.com/
(What the canned bio doesn't say is that Robin Gunn is an amazing individual. The love of Jesus shines from her beautiful smile, beams from her eyes, and resonates with every word she writes. A gifted wordsmith and story-spinner, Robin is a genuine follower of Christ. If you've been blessed to meet her as I have, you'll see that everything she pours into her books comes straight from her heart.)
My Review: Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes is a beautiful story. I'm a Sisterchick book addict, and devoured each of the previous seven books. But Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes is something special. This book blessed me in so many ways that Robin couldn't have known about when she was writing it. But GOD knew. You see, this book is about a woman struggling with the spectre of Breast Cancer looming over her life. At the moment, I'm one of the care-givers for my MIL who is fighting her own battle against Breast Cancer. Near the end of the book, the two main characters go to a Pannekoekenhuis for Dutch pancakes. We have a Pannekoeken Restaurant in Rochester, and one of the only things these days that I can guarantee that my MIL will be able to eat (her appetite isn't good) is a fresh strawberry pannekoeken. I'm blown away by how God, in His infinite wisdom, knew a long time ago when Robin was writing this book, that this story would connect and resonate with me like it did.
One really sharp word from the Lord that came while reading it when one of the characters talks about "owning the truth, not just renting the words." It's one thing to spout 'Christianese' or throw out Bible verses like a human Biblegateway.com. It's another to really own the truths of Scripture. OUCH.
If you're a Sisterchick fan like me, you won't be disappointed in this book. If you've never read a Sisterchick book...what are you waiting for? Hie thee to a bookstore and get them ALL!
If you'd like to buy Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes, click HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't that just so awesome when God uses a book we read to minister to us in exactly the way we needed? Oh, I pray that God can do that with my books someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's awesome! I love when books do that... or should I say, I love with GOD does that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is getting a lot of buzz lately. I go for my first mammogram in a couple weeks due to a bizarre recent breast infection. Maybe I ought to wait to read this one until afterward. ;)

    Thanks for the review, Erica, and glad that it touched you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Eileen, I'm going in for the same treatment in a couple weeks.

    Though I figure if there's something abnormal on mine, I'm telling my husband I want a trip to Europe. :) It worked for Summer in the book.

    ReplyDelete