Sunday, June 21, 2009

Creatively Tapped










About 10 days ago on The Edit Cafe, Barbour editor Becky Germany posted about her creative well running dry. She asked folks for tips and their experiences for rejuvenating their creativity.








When I'm creatively tapped there are a few things I try.








1. Cross Stitch. Here's the pattern I'm working on right now (slowly. I haven't worked on it in awhile.) I've stitched this pattern before as a gift for my SIL. I liked it so much, I got one for myself.









































2. Jigsaw Puzzles. I love The Hometown Collection from Mega Puzzles. In each one there is a tiny black cat hidden. We love hunting for it as we build.

























3. Read History Books. Currently I'm reading up on the US Cavalry in the West.













4. Watch movies. In keeping with my current research project, I'm watching all of John Wayne's Cavalry pictures. I finished Rio Grande (I love his moustache in this picture, and really, was there ever a movie duo with more chemistry than John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara?) and I'm currently watching She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. I'll watch The Horse Soldiers next, then Fort Apache. Fort Apache is my least favorite of the four, not because it isn't a great movie, but because the storyline is sooooo wrenching.
So, what do you do to recharge those creative batteries? I'd love to hear your take on things.
This week will be a difficult one for me, and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post. If you can spare a prayer for my family, we surely would appreciate it.

10 comments:

  1. Guess I'll get out Horse Soldiers and watch along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I was crocheting for a while, and I love to watch a good romcom movie. I do seem to get sparks of ideas while exercising.

    Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossword puzzle book. Not the crosswords, but all the other kinds of puzzles where you unscramble, anacrostics, figgerits, etc. I would be addicted to these, but I limit myself to one or two books of puzzles per year.
    Also gardening--dejunglizing the flower beds. Great therapy and clears my head so that I can get back to work.
    Saw THE PROPOSAL this weekend--a romantic comedy is always good for the creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your tough week. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    Your cross-stitch is gorgeous!!

    I like to crochet, but it's fallen by the wayside. I also really enjoy studying American history. An excellent book, The Tycoons, was written a few years ago and I'd love to find more like it.

    Take care this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be praying. Keep us updated on how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers are with you each morning!! When I'm tapped out, I usually just pick up a book. Or watch television. Helps my brain recoup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family is my prayers, Erica.

    I usually read a good book to get recharged. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Posted some answers at http://ponyexpressgraphics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one talented lady! Beautiful cross stitch. I'm saying a prayer for you and your family.
    And even though I'm not posting much anymore ... or visiting other blogs, I think of you every day. Keeping up with you ... knowing you has been a blessing. Glad we met in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. They are lifting us up in spirit and heart.

    I hope you all get a chance to recharge those creative batteries this week.

    ReplyDelete