Friday, June 19, 2009

The Friday Five


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
This is a gopher snake on the gravel driveway of the family business, Vetsch Hardwoods, Inc.
So, today's Friday Five is: Five things about me and snakes.
1. I have a sort of train-wreck mentality when it comes to snakes. I can't bear to look at them, but I can't look away when I see one. I have to keep my eye on it in case it decides to grow legs and run after me, or offer me a piece of forbidden fruit. :)
2. When I see a snake, I always try to get my hands on a stick of some sort. I have no intention of using the stick for anything, but I sure feel better having it in my hands.
3. Gopher snakes vibrate their tails like rattle snakes (but no rattling sound) to intimidate potential attackers. This posturing works well on me. :)
4. I can't see a snake without breaking into a very lame Crocodile Hunter accent. Crikey, isn't she a beauty? I think I should pounce on her! Danger! Danger! Danger!
5. I think Snakes are ICKY! But I'm proud of myself that I actually worked up the courage to touch a ball python at the Lincoln Park Zoo, (in a demonstration workshop by the zookeeper) especially since my husband wouldn't do it. The kids and I were brave. Peter was...smart. Touching a snake is icky too.
So, how do you feel about snakes?

5 comments:

  1. Snakes!! Don't even get me started!

    But thanks for the reminder not to walk to the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. {insert shiver}

    Thankfully we don't have too many here at 7000 ft ;) I can think of three times I've seen one here, and all three were monster size, like they were overfed in the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snake looks like what we call a bull snake, which imitate rattlers too. I respect snakes, but am not afraid of them at all. Most are harmless and charming--hog nosed snakes, the green racers who lived in our backyard on the farm. HOWEVER, a rattle snake demands respect. We killed at least one a year on the farm. I even killed one with a hoe when I was home alone and the prairie rattler was sunning itself on the concrete right in front of the back door. Another time, we had a cow dog who jumped up and knocked one of my sons out of the way. One more step and he would have stepped on a coiled rattle snake.
    So . . . respect, but also a little fascination with snakes. Just don't get me started on salamanders and toads--they're the ones that give me the willies--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hilarious! I just love your humor! I think I'd probably grab a stick and try to loop the snake around it. But of course I wouldn't take the piece of fruit either. Can't believe she fell for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not overly fond of snakes. Have only seen garter snakes. We have one that lives under the stairs named Mr. Scaley.

    ReplyDelete