Thursday, June 04, 2009

June Goals



It's Goal Time again. You can read my May Goals here and see how I did last month. I look at my goals much like the drawing to the left. The outlines are there, I just need to fill in the spaces with color.





1. Copy Edits for The Bartered Bride. I just got these back 6/1 and combed through them. Yay for Aaron McCarver, copy-editor par excellance! I should be able to get these back to him within 48 hrs.




2. Turn in The Engineered Engagement. Sometime after June 1, 2009. I did the final readthrough of this story and it's all ready to turn in.




3. Finish final edits on Clara and the Cowboy. This final readthrough took me longer than I anticipated (not sure why,) but the book is submitted well before the June 1st deadline. I will anxiously await the content edit on it, since it's the first book in a new series.




4. Begin plotting and writing sequels to Clara and the Cowboy: Lily and the Lawman and Maggie and the Maverick. I am closing in on finishing Lily and the Lawman the first time through. Have run into a couple sticky patches while winding this one up, trying to keep it plausible and fast-paced, but I think it's coming around. Then it will be time to plot Maggie's book. (Or as CJ calls it CAL's book!)




5. Prepare proposal packet and three chapters of a mystery/romance I've got kicking around in my head, including materials to pitch at ACFW. The wheels are turning. I might make this the major project for July.


6. Register for ACFW Denver. I got all registered, classes and workshops picked out, and appointments requested.

7. Attend ACFW Denver. This month the counter will click down under 100 days!

8. Read 5 books on craft this year, focusing on characterization, conflict, and endings. I finished reading The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass. This is one of those books that I think will sink in the more I try to implement the insights and ideas it raised.
9. Coordinate the Women's Fiction category for the ACFW Genesis Contest. I loved making those finalist calls. And I've sent back all the Women's Fiction entries. Now it's time to wait for the final round judges to get their emails back to me.
So, how'd your May goals go? What are your plans for June?
Tomorrow is the last day to get your comments in for the 700th Blog Post Book Giveaway. Remember to leave a way for me to contact you. The winner will be drawn and announced on Monday, June 8th.



10 comments:

  1. Great goals!! You accomplish so much! My goals: finish revising Beneath a Velvet Sky and continue reading GMC and Getting into Character. Plus, continue gathering ideas for my next story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Can I help it if I find the hero more interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica--you are awesome! It's encouraging to see you pushing yourself and enjoying it. Congrats on all your hard-earned success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goals for June:

    1. Perform wedding for eldest daughter with crumbling into a blubbering mess of fatherly emotion.
    2. Keep wife from going crazy regarding said wedding and all the details she keeps thinking of (i.e., "Oh, wouldn't it be cute to do this..." Me, "AH-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H!")
    3. Somehow, keep the church stuff somewhere on the radar: "Sorry, folks, I know I was gonna preach, but I think my notes got packed and are on honeymoon in Hawaii."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're a busy lady!!! Very inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goals?? To get through one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, those are great goals! A lot of goals :) Mine are to finish revising The Light of the Sea, keep up with my word count on Grace's Star (or whatever I decide to call it :D) and work more on a marketing plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting to see your goals! Thanks for sharing them. I hope that I can someday actually understand what they all meant! Since I have no idea what line editing vs. content editing is! I hope I can find out soon!! What's amazing to me, is all of the different projects that you have to juggle all at one time. I'm just beginning to realize all of the work involved in varying aspects of the writing career. And writing the book is only one part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaron McCarver6:51 PM

    Great blog, Erica. After working on your wonderful book, I thought I'd take a look. My June goals are to teach my college classes, edit another book I have waiting, and work with my co-author, Diane, on our WIP for Barbour. I am excited to see where God is going to take you with the talent He has given.
    Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, y'all! I loved hearing some of your goals for June.

    Katie, You work like a house afire!

    CJ, I must confess...me too!

    Jill, thank you! I'm all about making lists and setting goals. I don't always meet them, but if I don't set them down somewhere, I know I won't get any of them met.

    Kevin, as the PATTMOTB, I'll have extra tissues. :)

    Eileen, I'll be putting together my proposal packet using your list. :)

    Linda, you're doing an amazing job. You get through each day with grace and strength that I wish I could emulate.

    Yay, Cindy! You can do it! Those titles are intriguing!

    Jody, that has been one of the biggest adjustments. At the moment I have several works at various stages in the pipeline and at any moment something may pop up on one of them that needs work. It's a bit like riding a carousel. I've created a spreadsheet to track things because I didn't want to forget something important like a deadline!

    Aaron! Thanks for coming by the blog! And thanks for your kind words. You're mighty busy! I hope you get a bit of a summer break, so you can write more. :)

    ReplyDelete