Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wedded Bliss

This past weekend I attended a wedding of two young people who love each other and love Jesus.

As I watched the exchange of vows, I realized anew that though this was the pinnacle of months of effort, tons of energy, and I would have to guess a hefty chunk of change. But much like a commencement service at a school, a wedding signals the end of one thing and the beginning of another.

The happily ever after is the pinnacle of a romance. The wedding, the assurance that all obstacles have been overcome, and the hero and heroine are free to start their new life together. After all the effort, energy, and a hefty chunk of my time, Lily and Trace (current Hero and Heroine) will ride off into the sunset together. But though the story ends, they live on in my imagination, and I hope in the imaginations of my readers. The end of the book is the beginning of happily ever after. I love to dream up "what happens next" type stories for my favorite characters in books and movies. That's where I first started spinning fiction...making up stories about Paul and Maureen Beebe from Misty of Chincoteague, and Alec Ramsey of the Black Stallion stories when I was in elementary school. As I grew up, I continued this practice with other characters, even writing some fan fiction as an adult.

I hope that someday people will make up stories about my characters, allowing them to live on happily ever after.

And God Bless Devon and Rebecca in their new life together. May they too live Happily Ever After.

4 comments:

  1. I love weddings! So much fun! This is the first summer we haven't been to one yet!

    I usually like to imagine what happens to characters after happily-ever after's too. That's how I know it's a good book. I still find myself thinking about Hadassah and Mark from Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weddings are awesome!

    I'm forever adding on to romances. Considering what's to come for the characters. It makes the stories live on for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love happily ever afters--both real life and fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a wedding last weekend too. Lovely ceremony conducted by the bride's father and brother. Just too sweet. Definitely a HEA moment.

    I don't write weddings into my stories since I'm not a romance writer. I have more subtle hints at romance and leave much to the reader's imagination. My current WIP heralds a lifetime love of an elderly couple and the impact that has on a young woman's search for her own significant mate. It's bittersweet but the ending (which I'm zooming toward) ends on a positive note. It gives me goose bumps so I hope it does for my readers as well.

    ReplyDelete