Thursday, July 02, 2009

Routines and Goals



Routine. According to Dictionary.com this word can mean:

-- a customary or regular course of procedure.

-- commonplace tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity

This morning I'm trying to get back into my routine. Actually, I'm trying to forge a new routine. Those customary procedures and commonplace tasks that were routine last week are no longer routine.

Since today is July 2nd, I thought I'd outline my goals for July.

1. Finish Lily and the Lawman, the writing and editing. This past month has played havoc with my writing. This afternoon I hope to re-read the first 40K words of Lily and the Lawman and get back into the groove, remind myself where I was in the story, and where I'm going.

2. Complete whatever edits on pending books with Heartsong as may arrive this month. There are several books in the pipeline in various stages of edits. When one hits my inbox, it becomes the priority until it is returned. Content edits, copy edits, galley edits.

3. Piece together two proposals, one for another Heartsong series, and one for a trade-length series. I have an idea for each. It's a matter of fleshing those ideas out and getting proposal packages together before September's ACFW conference.

4. Begin work on Maggie and the Maverick. I'm really looking forward to this story. The hero, Cal, is a favorite of mine. The story is in my head, but it's time to get it onto the plot board and onto the page.

5. Attend ACFW Denver. The counter continues to click down. Less than three months. This will be my third ACFW conference, and I'm surprised at how much I'm looking forward to it each year. I can't wait to see people, attend workshops and appointments, and soak up the worship. Still need to decide if I'm flying or driving. Should decide that soon, huh?

6. Finish up my responsibilities regarding the ACFW Genesis Contest for 2009. The final round scores are trickling in. As soon as the last scores are received, I'll tabulate them and get them sent off to Camy Tang.

7. Enjoy some summertime activities with the family. We'll be making some day-trips to see local sites, and hopefully taking a bit of a family vacation. The options are open right now: A trip to Chicago to bask in the museum air there, a circular route of Lake Superior to enjoy the rugged coast and the isolated lighthouses, or a drive across South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore, the badlands, the black hills and the frontier forts along the way.

How are you doing on your summer goals?

8 comments:

  1. Reestablishing a routine is always rough. That's so cool that you have these story ideas in your head ready to be wriiten! Yay for ideas. :)

    All three of your vacation options sound fun. We're not going anywhere this summer, but that's fine by me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you are one busy woman, Erica!

    You can read 40,000 words in an afternoon? I sure wish I could do that.

    All the best to getting back on routine. It sure feels good once it is cemented in again. I pray your family is adjusting to your loss, knowing God is in full control!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas told me after we got back from my mom's funeral that it was the first day of a new era in our lives. Yes, a new routine is needed, but not always easy to establish. (not as easy when you lived so close whereas I was 850 miles away). At first it was easy to try to slip back to the old ways, but eventually we got established in the new routine of life. Continuing to pray for you as you forge ahead with the "new routine". Vera

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thrive on routine. Always have. When it's upset, I'm out of sorts. However, I'm learning to enjoy the moment for important things--weekend trips with hubby and this week, having my grandson's annual stay with us. His brother comes in a couple of weeks. Those days I relish and put my all into these little guys.
    Novel wise, I'm on the last ch. of the first draft of my WIP. Will read a couple of craft books while I'm letting it cool off, then dig into rewrites.
    You inspire me to be more accountable. Blessings with finding your new groove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It amazes me that you can set aside certain things to focus completely on others. I find it hard to focus on one thing at a time, which isn't always the most help. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Glad to hear you're going to be able to get away with your family. My first choice would be the lighthouses. They've always intrigued me, I don't know why! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an amazing juggler! I love the way you post your goals and progress--definitely inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I have learned from FlyLady is since you had already established routines you follow, it's not hard to get back to flying. Most important remember to take some time for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for the Chicago vacation. If you're looking for fun stuff, visit Cantigny which was the home of McCormick who I believe started the Chicago Tribune.

    So you can take tours through his mansion, go through the best American war museum ever (they've recreated battle scenes that you can walk through).

    Then there's the gorgeous Chicago Botanic Gardens, Brookfield Zoo, Millenium & Grant Park . . . I'm getting homesick!

    ReplyDelete