Friday, September 18, 2009

an ACFW Friday Five


Because this is the middle of the ACFW Annual Conference I thought I'd post Five things I love about the Conference.
1. Meeting old friends. Friends I've met only on line, or friends I've made through the past several years at the conference and get to reconnect with.
2. The workshops. I always, always, always learn something new.
3. The energy. Put 500 creative types in one room, whether introvert, extrovert, or extra-extra-extroverts, and the energy that hums through the place is electric. And for a room full of mostly introverts, it sure gets LOUD at times.
4. A chance to feel like a 'real writer' and a 'professional.' Often, especially before that wonderful first contract comes, it's hard to feel like a real writer or a pro. It's hard to explain to people who aren't writers that you don't dabble in writing, that you're not writing as a fun pastime or hobby, and that it really is a demanding job. Every single person at the ACFW conference understands the challenges of the writing life.
5. People watching. With a zillion writing-related conversations all going on at once, I'm in people-watching heaven. Watching how people interact, glad reunions, first-time introductions, editor-writer meetings, editor-agent meetings, worship team-congregation interaction, the joyful and the tearful. It's all fascinating.
How about you? What do you love about conferences?

4 comments:

  1. I have never been to one, but I think I would love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The calligraphy conferences are much the same. Breathing the energy, meeting up with old friends, making new friends and learning, learning, learning. Hope you're having a blast. Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're having fun! I love the people watching, but more than anything I loved meeting new people. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How on earth did you find time to blog during the conference? I stand in awe...

    ReplyDelete