Friday, September 25, 2009

The Friday Five


Writers often speak of ways to make more time for their writing, and in the next breath we speak of things that we do to procrastinate writing. Face it, writers are complex people!
So, here are my current favorite procrastinaton techniques.
1. Blogs. Reading, writing, perusing, commenting. I've had to whittle my list of daily blog reads down AGAIN. I don't like to, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Mostly because I try to comment on the blogs I read. I want to encourage the writer of the blog that there are people reading, that what they say matters, and that it has an impact on someone other than their mom.
2. Email. I love getting email. I love the immediacy of it. I check email way too often on the off chance that someone replied to my blog, to my facebook status update, or has sent me one of those delightful "Jesus is my Girlfriend" sparkly, music playing, Precious Moments scrolling, poems.
3. TV. Especially sports. I love watching nearly any sport on tv. I'm a Cubs fan from way back and I have WGN television. (I also have "There's always Next Year" tattooed on my soul.)
4. Books. When I'm not doing something I have to do like bookwork, school, or sleeping, and I'm not on the computer, I'm reading a book. I'm trying to teach myself to scale back on the number of books I read for review.
5. Computer Games. Games from BigFishGames.com. You can download one hour free trials of hundreds of games, and I'm especially fond of Hidden Object games at the moment.
So, what are your procrastination techniques, and what's your current favorite?

7 comments:

  1. Cleaning the house or trying to organize the studio is a wonderful procrastination technique. As to computer games, the current favorite is Farmville on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. My procrastination technique is the internet too. I like the idea of turning it off on my computer while I'm writing and then rewarding myself once I meet a writing goal, by then being able to go check email or FB or Twitter.

    Hope you made it back home! I'm sure you'll be wiped out but in a good way! It was SO great to meet you at the conference! You're just as sweet as I imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internet can be a writer's best friend or worst enemy. I suppose it depends on the day! Also, I probably read WAY too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...ditto? I love the Internet, books, magazines, and I do watch some television at night. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl!

    I think you pretty much covered all of mine. Internet is most definitely my top procrastination of choice. Not good. Not good at all. Hope you made it home safely. We for sure should talk IRL.

    Love ya!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Were you watching the Twins tonight? The Sox helped you out. ;)

    On a totally unrelated note, I see there's 18 days till your book releases. Have we seen a cover yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to be really desperate to clean the house. I remember a Nora Roberts chat where someone asked her how long she takes off between books. She said that when she starts looking at the vacuum in the closet it's time to start writing.

    I procrastinate by leaving my chair..make fresh coffee, check the contents of the fridge...play with the cats.

    I concur with Jody, you are cuter and sweeter in person than online..which puts you up in the high fructose category.

    ReplyDelete