Thursday, September 17, 2009

Genre - Horror/Thriller


Okay, so this is an odd one for me. I'm not all that into being scared while reading. And yet, there is a series that would be considered Horror/Thriller that I just love!
First, what is Horror? Again, this is my own definition.
A story that focuses on a paranormal assailant bent on killing any and everything it can. A story with insurmountable odds against the hero, where he must use his wits to defeat the undefeatable. A story that scares the pants of you, and where you can't tell where the action will take you. A story where every single character may die.
As I said, I'm not a big fan of Horror. I've never read Stephen King, and after seeing the movie Carrie, I don't know if I want to. I'm a big, honkin' chicken most of the time.
So, what is this series of Horror books that I read in spite of not being a fan of the genre? Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Agent Pendergast series. One day when I was perusing the books on tape section of my local library, the title of one book jumped out at me. I decided to give it a whirl, because the cover art and title really grabbed me. And I wanted a nice long book to listen to while I worked on a x-stitch project. So I brought home The Cabinet of Curiosities. I was grabbed from the get go! I now own all the Agent Pendergast books. He's such an intriguing character, and the stories are wildly unpredictable.
So much so, that in their latest collaboration, Cemetery Dance, Preston and Child actually open the book with the murder of a long-established and well-loved character! I couldn't believe it, and I had to keep reading to see if he was really dead. (Trust me, in the Pendergast novels, it's best to keep reading and not make any assumptions as to a person's demise.)
How do you feel about horror? Like it, loathe it?

3 comments:

  1. well I used to loathe it, but now I feel a certain kind of warming to it after having just read some of Stephen King. I like being scared sometimes... if the lights are on and hubbie is home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all of Stephen King's early works. There's just something about the thrill of having a scream stuck in your throat. The Shining kept me awake for two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...I'm iffy on it. But I do enjoy some of Stephen King's--especially Misery.

    ReplyDelete