Thursday, September 24, 2009

Genre - Young Adult


Today's Genre: Young Adult.
Young Adult: Novels targeted toward young adult readers ages 12 through 18. The stories in this category can be dramatic, comedic, romantic, or non-romantic. Science Fiction/Fantasy/Allegory stories targeted primarily at young adult readers can be entered in this category.
I don't read a lot of YA, though we have a lot of it in the house. My kids are enamored of Donita K. Paul's work, Bryan Davis, Brian Jacques, Christopher Paolini, C.S. Lewis, Stephen Lawhead, Randy Mortensen, and others, mostly YA fantasy.
I read a lot of YA books when I was a kid, books by Silliman, Balch, Wells, Young, Henry, and more. I still have a lot of them, and dip into them from time to time to refresh myself. There's just something so urgent and vital about teen literature. Lessons learned last a lifetime, relationships formed and choices made shape the characters and us into the people we will be as adults. YA books are very compelling.
The last and best YA I've read was Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill. Steph is so talented, and she 'gets' YA readers. This book is making the rounds of the youth group at my church, and the girls are raving.
Do you read YA? Do you write it? Did you have favorite YA authors when you were a teen?

4 comments:

  1. I'm starting to read more, mainly to pass on to my daughters, but still not near enough. It's actually fun to read them, though, they bring back so many memories for me, about how I felt way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Me, Just Different. My daughter did too and she's anxious for Stephanie's next book.

    I also love Jenny B. Jones's YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many of my crit partners write YA that I've found myself reading it more and more. I still enjoy all the teen books I collected -Cavanna's, Webers, all the greats of teen writing in the 50's and 60's. Haven't read too much CBA type YA except for my crit partners wips but I do love anything by Caroline Cooney. She wrote THE FACE ON THE MILK CARTON and continued the Janie series. A new YA author I did find last summer - CBA (and who's name I have forgotten-blushing) is writing a series about a girl named Candy. Each of the book titles has to do with -yup, candy - The Summer of Cotton Candy, the Fall of Candy Corn and the Winter of Candy Canes - can't wait to see the spring book come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just wishing the other day for some book ideas for my 13 year old girl...she was floundering as she had just finished her latest series - thanks for some good ideas! Of course, they are not as easy to come by in Brazil...

    ReplyDelete