Thursday, September 10, 2009

Genres - Contemporary Romance


In honor of today being my parent's anniversary (Happy, happy anniversary, parents!) I'm kicking off the Genre posts with Contemporary Romance.
So, what is a Contemporary Romance?
This is from the ACFW Genesis site:
Contemporary Romance: The love story is set in any location in a contemporary setting, and is the main focus of the novel. The end of the book is emotionally satisfying. The stories in this category can be dramatic or comedic.
Pretty straight-forward. The love story is the central story thread, and it takes place in a 'now' time. The first romances I read were contemporary when they were written, but by the time I got ahold of them, they were historicals. :D
I started reading some Grace Livingston Hill when I was in Jr. High. Her books The Christmas Bride and Partners are my favorites. Then I moved on to Essie Summers. Essie was a Presbyterian minister's wife from New Zealand who wrote sweet romance set in that country for Harlequin/Mills & Boon. She had a long career, writing more than 50 books. I have all but one of her novels. That last one is proving elusive! The last time I came across The South Horizon Man by Essie Summers, the vendor wanted $450.00! Gasp!
Recent favorites in the contemporary romance genre: Camy Tang's Sushi Series. Sushi for One was WONDERFUL! If you haven't read it, well, what are you waiting for???
What about you? Any favorite contemporary romances?
And to my sister, Kathleen, happy birthday! She was born on my parents' first anniversary. Isn't that cool?

4 comments:

  1. Just that title draws me in! Looks like a great read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I wouldn't necessarily call Sushi for One a romance, it seemed more chic lit to me with romance thrown in. Is that what they labelled it as? Contemporary Romance? Cool, I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love contemporary romance. I've been reading Denise Hunter's books lately and love them! Of course, this is the genre I write so it's a good thing these books are my favorite! I like Dee Henderson, too, but hers have a lot of suspense as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, check used.addall.com for your missing book. And make sure you uncheck the box for Alibris! They're way overpriced on most things.

    ReplyDelete