Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A letter to Dick


Yesterday I wrote a letter to an author who inspired me, Essie Summers.
Today, I want to write a letter to Dick Francis, one of my favorite authors ever!
Dear Dick,
I wanted to write and tell you how much I enjoy your work. I've been a fan for almost twenty years, and that spans not even half of your long, successful career as a novelist.
I've spent hours reading your books, and have collected all your novels. One of your strengths as a writer that so appeals to me is your ability to immerse your reader into the occupation and world of your main character. I've learned so much about different fields of work, everything from artists to inventors to pilots to wine merchants, and so many more. It was that in-depth inside access to your characters' occupations that drew me in every time.
Aside from hours of reading pleasure that you've given me, you've really taught me about characterization and branding. As a writer, reading your work helps me see into the male POV, what a man would and wouldn't say or do, and certainly how he feels about himself and his job.
I also learned about branding. Every time I see you have a new book out, I don't care about the particulars of the story. I buy the book. I know I'm going to love it, because you wrote it and it will be in your voice, with your world-view. It will challenge me, and in the end, I'll have some questions answered and a few more raised. I love the fact that your books call for the hero to make a moral decision. And some of the intrigue comes because I'm never sure if he will make the choice I would select, or if he will go another way.
Thank you for coming through so much hardship and continuing to write after suffering loss.
With gratitude,
Erica
So, anybody read any Dick Francis? Anybody ever had an author that they loved so much they didn't care what their next book was about, knowing you would buy it no matter what?
Oct. 20-21st Join me on Patty Wysong’s blog: at http://pattywysong.blogspot.com/ to find out what I procrastinate doing, and some of my strange habits.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome, genuine letter.

    Thanks for sharing these letters, Erica!

    And wishing me a gentler day! I need it as I take laptop to the techie doctor in hopes of salvaging my stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of him before, but your letter sounds great! You should send these. I think the authors would love them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Erica! Dick Francis is one of my all-time favorite authors, and I know he will be delighted to receive your letter. What a nice gesture.

    I have a long list of favorite authors who I follow and buy every book they write. Sometimes, I'll drop one from the list when they become too same-old, same-old. This year, though, I've read a number of Debut novelists (including YOU) and must say, there's some great talent out there. So many books . . . so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! As soon as I saw "Dick Francis" I had to read the post. And the fact we share the same initials makes me hope some of it will rub off on me.

    I also love the fact that he takes a world many Christians wouldn't touch with a ten-foot-pole--horse racing and gambling--and makes it accessible to all and as you pointed, forces the heroes into moral dilemmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim Allen11:08 AM

    Yes! I love Dick Francis and I too buy any book he writes without even opening it first. In fact, his latest is in my bag I took to MN ....sewed the whole time though....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bought books based on author alone, not caring what the book was about. I love the idea of writing a letter to a favorite author. Am thinking of trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cowboys aren't supposed to cry at the drop of a hat? ROFL

    As to branding,felt that way about Stephen King. Knew I was going to have the willies scared out of me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read any of his books, but I need to after reading your letter! I'm on chapter five of your book. I LOVE it! Wish I had more time to read it. Today I was reading it during lunch break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eileen, I sure hope the techie was able to salvage everything!

    Jessica, I'd encourage you to try both of these authors. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carla, isn't that the truth. I've had to really be judicious about the books I have time to read these days. Can't wait to get yours though!

    Darlene! Thanks for stopping by. If I'd have known, sitting next to you in the CE class at the conference, we could've chatted all about Dick Francis. :) We could've been our own Tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, you won't be disappointed. :)

    Wendy, give it a whirl, then let me know so I can come read it. :) Thanks for stopping by OTWP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CJ, you and I have read PLENTY of things that cowboys shouldn't do. I always think of that workshop "you write like a girl."

    Katie! Woohoo! I'm so glad you're enjoying the book. :D

    ReplyDelete