Friday, November 13, 2009

The Friday Five





I'm currently working on attaining the NaNo challenge this month. I got a little behind last weekend when I stopped writing on my newest novel to do edits on one in the publishing pipeline.
There are a lot of things I love about NaNo, the challenge, the competition, the camraderie, how many fun things begin with the letter "C"...
I've often wondered how it would be to write a novel in November that was just purely for fun, to be able to incorporate all the ridiculous prompts and story ideas that are thrown about on the NaNo forums.
In perusing the forums, I found Five Prompts That Cracked Me Up & Made Me Wish I Could Include Them In A Novel. (None of which would fly with my editor, I'm sure.)
1. Have the "Travelling Shovel of Death" visit your novel and bump someone off.
2. Have your characters engage in the age old debate: Pirates or Ninjas?
3. Have your entire cast of characters (good guys and bad guys) band together to steal a shark.
4. Make one of your characters a college professor, who also happens to be a duck.
5. Make your main character do the macarena in your next chapter, as well as one supporting character(because it's just more fun with two people!)
Honorable mentions:
Have one character who, every time he meets someone, comments on how nice their hair smells and have him be able to pick out the brand of shampoo used by that person.
Have one character who always speaks like a pirate, a ninja, Ye Olde English, or some other fancy fonted speech. :)
Give your hero a super power he is just learning how to control and have him lose control of that super power in a very public place. (I imagined this looking something like: My hero can fly, but on his first attempt, he zings around the room banging into walls, light fixtures and windows like a balloon with an untied end...maybe during a party or during High School Assembly...)
So, which one of these would you try, and do you have any others that might sound good?
Today's stop on the blog tour is at:
And have a wonderful weekend!

11 comments:

  1. That is too funny! I can't believe how you're able to keep up with NaNo, do edits, write your blogs, do a blog tour, and then all those other--you know, important things! You must work fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Macarena part. It could be a dance that ends with a punch like in the Three Amigos and then the scene continues as if the dance was never done.

    Can't wait to read your book and will run behind your tour of blogs to see who and what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! There are forums dedicated to Nano? Too cool.

    I would choose the shampoo smelling one, because I think that could actually work for a secondary character. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm partial to the duck and stealing the shark. Better than having jumped the shark.

    Fun post!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The inept superhero was already done as a tv show in the 80's. The Greatest American Hero starring William Katt and Robert Culp. Katt is visited by aliens who give him a super suit and a handbook. He loses the handbook and has to figure out how to work his powers. Fun show. Bet the Boy would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, that's so funny! I'd definitely have all the characters steal a shark. I just have no idea what story of mine that would fit into :D

    By the way, I have something for you on my blog today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those! That's really funny. Good luck on your NaNo this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're very clever for sure. Isn't no-limits brainstorming fun. Sounds like that's what they did to get those prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who also happens to be a duck??? Seriously? I have no idea HOW I would ever incorporate that, but it's too funny not to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO yanking the shark idea! Ingenious! And even more so for me, since my setting is Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm amazed at how you are keeping pace. What's more, is I'm certain your words aren't dreck, just to get to the finish line. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete