Wednesday, November 04, 2009

This tops it!


Okay, every year at the ICRS, agent Chip MacGregor walks the floor and finds the best of the worst "Jesus Junk" he can find, then reports on it on his Blog.
I get a kick out of hearing about the Armor of God Underwear, and the Saving Soles/Souls shoe inserts. And I wonder who buys that stuff.
So this past week, I got a catalog in the mail from the Oriental Trading Company. Christmas stuff. Since my husband teaches Sunday School to elementary aged kids, I thought I'd leaf through it and see if there was anything that might make a good addition to his prize box for Bible memory rewards.
Imagine my surprise when I came across the items in the picture.
"Inflatable Holy Gifts"
What???
If you're having a Christmas pageant/program at your church this year, and your wisemen are fumble-fingered, have I got the perfect solution.
Inflatable Frankincense.
Sigh.
So, what's your take on these little gems? And what's your favorite or funniest bit of "Jesus Junk" you've ever seen?
Two stops on the blog tour today. Be sure to check them out!

12 comments:

  1. That's hilarious, Erica! Maybe they'll start selling inflatable sheep and cows next! :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a good toy for toddlers? ;)

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog yesterday, and for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chee-Zeey! I don't suppose I need to ask if you bought it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! Thanks for the smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I thought Catholics had cornered the market on Jesus Junk! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! That's funny, and oddly disturbing :D

    Oh, my word verification is "tabible"
    Ta bible? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'm giggling. All I can see are three-year-olds hitting each other over the head with inflatable myrrh or passing the frankincense around like a beach ball! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny!!! Wonder if Chip will spot these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jody, I tell you, I got all warm and Christmassy feeling inside when I saw those plastic replicas. :)

    And can you imagine the chaos on the stage if there was inflatable livestock???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Georgiana, I did NOT buy them.

    Though if I needed a white elephant gift...

    CJ, I'm sure these are ecumenical and non-denominational objects. :)

    Jill, you're right, there would be chaos.

    Cindy, I laughed my head off, and my family could hardly grasp why. And ta bible? Weird!

    Janna, thanks for stopping over. :) Hope the birthday was happy.

    Eileen, I wonder if these were at ICRS to be spotted?

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first saw where you were going with this, I thought you were going to say, they had blow-up shepherds and wise men - ick! The Magi gifts aren't much better.

    ReplyDelete