Monday, December 21, 2009

It's all about the Kiss!


Katie and Sherrinda have declared today Official Kissing Day Blogfest in Honor of Mistletoe!
Here is what to do if you want to participate in the Official Kissing Day Blogfest:
1. Write a post telling about the Official Kissing Day Blogfest. This way more writer/bloggers will get the word and be able to participate on Monday, Dec. 21st.
2. Tweet about it, using the hash tag: #kissingdayblogfest (I don't know if this will help get the word out, but I thought it might be fun to try.)
3. On Monday, December 21st, post on your blog an excerpt from your current WIP, or write a new scene that spotlights a kiss or an "almost kiss".
4. If you are not a writer, or are uncomfortable sharing your work online, post your favorite kissing scene or almost-kissing scene from any book or movie.
So, here is one of the kissing scenes from my soon-to-be-released title The Marriage Masquerade.
The instant Nick’s lips settled on hers, Annie knew she’d been waiting for this moment for a long time. Clasped in his arms, sheltered, secure, she gave herself over to the wonder of his kiss. The salty taste of her tears mingled with the sweetness of knowing herself cherished by the man she’d come to care for so deeply. In that instant, she dreamed a thousand dreams, made a thousand plans, let her heart soar.
With the abruptness of being thrown in the lake, Nick broke the kiss and pushed her from him. Annie blinked, stunned. Had she done something wrong?
His hands fisted at his sides, and his breath came in gasps. Those lips that had so recently caressed hers formed a hard line. He swallowed hard. “My apologies. I had no right to do that. It won’t happen again, I assure you.”
“Nick?” Her hand went out to him. “You don’t need to apologize.”
He shook his head, staring past her shoulder toward the lighthouse. “You have no idea, Annie. There are things that prevent me from—” He broke off and turned away from her. “I’m sorry.” He strode across the clearing and disappeared into the watch room.
Annie sank to the fallen log and buried her face in her hands. Great sobs wracked her shoulders, sticking in her throat. She wiped her eyes once more with his handkerchief, noting the bold NNK embroidered in navy blue on the white linen. How could he be so kind and gallant on the one hand, and so cold and distant on the other?She had bared her soul, her deepest shameful secret to him, had dared to dream he might be able to look past that and love her anyway, but in the end, she was as alone and unlovable as ever. And she had no one to blame but herself.

24 comments:

  1. Rejection is the hardest pill to swallow! I ache for Annie, what a heart stopping kiss.

    Thanks Erica, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEK! Erica, I must read more! I. LOVE. Your. Writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've piled on the conflict and tension! Great job, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, annie!

    Lovely Erica. Very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Annie, but well done Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sad. Sounds like great inner conflict on the hero's part! Great kiss! :-)

    Thanks for sharing Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm soaking in the line, "In that instant, she dreamed a thousand dreams, made a thousand plans, let her heart soar."

    Ahh. Enough said.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. When will this come out??

    I love the part about dreaming a thousand dreams and making a thousand plans too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. erica! this was great! your kiss scenes are definitely swoon worthy. :)

    jeannie
    Where Romance Meets Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang men anyways. So fickle!

    Great scene, and great angst. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was moving. I love how she dreamed a thousand dreams at that moment. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo, the undercurrent is tantalizing! Looking forward to the opportunity of reading more. :)

    This blogfest is such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I feel so sad for her! How awful (but a lovely kiss).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, tell me they do work this out!!! Can't wait for this in print.

    ReplyDelete
  16. More! More!

    I seriously enjoyed your scene!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Sticking to her throat..."

    Beautiful stuff. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm already looking forward to your new book. This made me very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heartbreaking, Erica. Love the tension, the underlying emotional turmoil, and of course The Kiss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was so well done, but so sad! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. aw, I feel so bad for Annie. Such longing and such self-doubt. :(

    But I think it means you wrote a very effective scene!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heart-wrenching! I hope Annie finds love...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, Erica, I've got to get that book! You totally drew me in with... "In that instant, she dreamed a thousand dreams, made a thousand plans, let her heart soar."
    Very nicely done, girl! I love it when I forget to breathe. lol
    Thanks so much for participating and making my day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ack! More! More! More!.... I need a happy ending.

    Awesome writing.

    Jenni James

    ReplyDelete