Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Forward


This is a good time of year to be looking back on what has happened over the past 12 months and look ahead to the next year.
I'm a big believer in assessing progress, making plans, and listing goals. I don't always get everything done that I hope to, but I know I get more done than if I didn't have a plan.
Sometimes I make out my list of things I'd like to get accomplished, and I'm daunted. It seems so overwhelming.
One way of overcoming this feeling is by looking backwards at what I have accomplished, how far I've come. I go back through blog posts here where I've listed goals and see how many times I've met my goals in the past.
I also divide and conquer. Responsibilities abound in several areas of my life, and in order to get them done, I divide them up into sections. Spiritual goals. Family goals, including homeschooling. Church responsibilities. Bookkeeping duties. Writing. And writing is subdivided further into writing, editing, blogging, social networking, marketing, etc.
By breaking things down into smaller units, I'm better able to assess both the time/energy it will take to get it done, but also the best strategy for attacking the task.
So, As I forge into 2010, I'm looking back at 2009 to see where I've been, and I'm looking ahead to see what might be in store. And through it all, I'm reminded that a woman may make plans, but it is God who is in charge.
Are you happy with your progress from 2009? Are you making plans for 2010? How do you plan to divide and conquer this year?
As and added little bonus, I'm being interviewed over at Favorite PASTimes Blog. You can read the interview by clicking HERE.

7 comments:

  1. For me lately, it seems "the best laid plans aft gang aglee." I'm just hoping to be able to muddle through and dance as best as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try, but lately....I'm disappointed in the results of my "organizing." But I really enjoyed your blog and I've gleaned some wisdom from it. I'll be taking your advice. Happy New Year, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2009 is really the beginning of the writing life for me. It has been a tremendous experience, and I'm proud of what I have accomplished. The Holy Spirit has given me exactly the direction and enthusiasm I needed to embark on these waters. I pray the next year will see me with a completed manuscript and the determination to tackle the revision process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica,
    I left something for you over at my blog.

    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes and No. I am so proud that I finished my first novel, but am disappointed that I haven't got it edited yet. It is my fault...procrastination and fear. But here's to a new year with new goals and hopefully success at every turn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've had a pretty awesome year! I hope it's so in all areas of your life, not just the areas we are privvy to :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for insight into your life, Erica. I would like to get back my early-rise, early-write routine!

    Lord willing, it'll happen in 2010.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete