Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Old Friends



I've been reuniting with some old friends.

Essie Summers books.

I LOVE Essie Summers books. And I've been re-reading my favorites.

Do you re-read old favorites?

Some folks never read a book twice. I read my favorites over and over again.

So what am I gleaning by revisiting these books?

1. Essie's books are about the same length as the stories I am writing now, so it helps me get the pace.

2. Essie's books incorporate faith in a very natural way, reminding me not to try to hit my reader over the head with the spiritual message of the book. It is okay for the characters to just BE people of faith and have it a part of their lives.

3. Essie's lovely vocabulary and word usage. I have gleaned so much from her word-smithing.

4. Love stories. Essie is the master of writing a true romance not based on titillation or unbridled passion. Her stories are based upon family, faith, and respect between men and women.

5. Her amazing poetry. Essie wrote beautiful poetry and it resonates with me. I'm not normally a big fan of poetry, mostly because I think the poet is trying too hard to be artsy. But Essie wrote poems that expressed her faith and her view of the world, and they speak to me. She also included poems that she enjoyed written by other writers.

Here are four of my favorites.



Season of Forgetfulness
Sweet is the season of forgetfulness,
Succeeding thus the passon and the pain,
The healing time, the quiet time of pausing
Till, in God's wisdom, you will love again.
~Essie Summers
Not by Appointment
Not by Appointment do we meet delight
Or joy; they heed not our expectancy;
But round some corner of the streets of life
They of a sudden greet us with a smile.
~Essie Summers
Farewell to a Little Boy
Honey, there will be a hoop
And hills to roll it down...
(God couldn't give a little boy
The burden of a crown).
He'll show you lots of trees to climb
And where He keeps the swings.
(God, let him have a ball and bat
Instead of shining wings!)
And will He let you sail a kite
Up where the sky is clear,
Without tall buildings stopping down?
Of course He will, my dear!
Now close your eyes...I'll kiss them shut
The way I always do...
(I must...I must not cry, dear God,
Until he's safe with You.)
~Anonymous
Green
I have loved green--the green of lovely things;
The pale, flat discs of new nasturtium leaves,
The feathers of a mountain-parrot's wings,
The first frail grass that Spring, new-awakened weaves;
And depthless pools where tides have ceased to run,
And winter apples hanging in the sun!
I have loved green--bright-dropping beads of jade,
Soft pussy-willow silk with silvery folds,
Books with green covers carelessly arrayed,
And emerald bottles capped with tinselled golds!
But the green wonder of your laughing eyes
Stirs me each time, O Love, to new surprise
~ Jane East
If you do re-read your favorites, what do you glean from them?
Do you have a favorite from the poems I've posted here?

6 comments:

  1. Love going back and re-reading old favorites. It's like meeting up with a special friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to go back for a visit. Sometimes you pick up on things you missed reading to quickly the first time through

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about reading faith in books. It shouldn't smack the reader in the face; it should be a natural part of the character's life.

    Have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Season of Forgetfulness ties in perfectly with my WIP! Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, am I the only one who doesn't reread? Maybe there's something to it. There's only one book I've reread multiple times, called Eighth Moon, about a pre-teen in China under Mao. There's something about that story that is both horrifying and that makes me so appreciative of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an adult, I haven't reread much. As a kid though, I had a few fave rereads, including Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden and Little Women. :-)

    ReplyDelete