Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tagged by Katie!


Last week I was tagged by Katie to post the answers to a slew of writing questions. Thanks, Katie!!


What's the last thing you wrote? Edits on Maggie and the Maverick.
What's the first thing you wrote that you still have? A story I wrote in 9th grade about a girl, a horse, a circus...LOL!
Write poetry? All my attempts at poetry come out sounding like Dr. Seuss, but not as fun.
Angsty poetry? Um, no!
Favorite genre of writing? Historical Romance! Squeee!
Most annoying character you've ever created? A Lighthouse Inspector. The good news is, he was supposed to be annoying.
Best Plot you've ever created? The plot of Drums of the North Star. Weaving all the actual historical events into the storyline was HARD!
Coolest Plot twist you've ever created? Can't tell, that would spoil the surprise. :)
How often do you get writer's block? I don't know that I actually have had writer's block yet.
Write fan fiction? I used to, but set it aside to pursue publication.
Do you type or write by hand? There are people who write by hand???
Do you save everything you write? Nope.
Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it? Yes, but only if I think I can make it better.
What's your favorite thing you've ever written? Whatever I'm working on at the time.
What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written? Since I only have one novel out at the moment, I'm going to choose The Bartered Bride. :)
Ever written romance or angsty teen drama? Romance is what I write all the time...angsty teen drama, nope.
What's your favorite setting for your characters? I loved creating the Sutton Island Lighthouse on a fictional island in Lake Superior.
How many writing projects are you working on right now? I used to be a very linear writer, but now I work on whatever my editors send to me. Content edits, copy edits, galley proofs, the current WIP. I'm learning to juggle things and focus on the project that is the most urgent.
Have you ever won an award for your writing? Third place and first place in the Genesis Contest in 2008.
What are your five favorite words? This one changes all the time. I like Reciprocity, Kaleidoscopic, Oleaginous, Chatelaine, and Spork.
What character have you created that is most like yourself? I tend to create characters like I WISH I was.
Where do you get ideas for your characters? Reading history books, the Bible, and one name in my debut novel came from a lady at church.
Do you ever write based on your dreams? I don't think so.
Do you favor happy endings? YES!!!
Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write? Yes.
Does music help you write? No, although I have learned to tune out the Caribou Soundtrack at the Coffee Shop.
Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head. This is the first line of my current WIP: A handsome man couldn’t be trusted, Maggie Davis reminded herself, and a girl would be wise to watch out for the ugly ones, too.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting list and you're a Caribou lover. I've learned to tune out the soundtrack as well, though the overall ambience the Caribou where I write is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWo things.

    One - I lurve your first line to Maggie!

    Two - no joke, in one of my discarded story ideas, I wrote a fictional town called Sutton Island!!! HA! I live by Rock Island, and I live on Sutton Place. So I combined Sutton with Island. Never used it though. We share the same brain waves, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love Maggie's quote. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaleidoscopic...too cool. I once created a character I thought would make a great friend. She was full of life, hysterical and gutsy. It was fun.

    Oh, a lighthouse inspector...love the sound of that.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that first line! It's awesome! And how fun to learn more about you. :) Oh...and I love Chatelaine too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Q&A, Erica. My friend Rexanne Becnel writes historicals by hand. 4 pages a day in N.O. coffee shop. You can read about it here. http://www.historicalromancewriters.com/authorinfo.cfm?authorID=900

    Can you imagine writing 15 to 20 historicals BY HAND?
    Me either!

    Have a GREAT Christmas, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an excellent first line! Makes me all the more eager to read her story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that first line, Erica! I can't wait to read The Bartered Bride. It's scheduled to be in my next shipment from Heartsong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeek! I love your first line! Too funny!
    I need to get your book. It's on Amazon, right?
    Great learning more about you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walt, I LOVE writing at Caribou, but "My Heart Was Beating Like a Jungle Drum" drives me crazy! LOL

    Katie, COOL! Sutton Island. :D

    CJ, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy, I love odd words. Or ordinary words. Or ANY words! :D

    Sherrinda, Chatelaine just sounds so regal, doesn't it?

    Jess, If I had to write books by hand...well, I just don't know if I could do it...not and have it legible afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steph, I'm so glad! I didn't find that line until I had written almost the entire story!

    Mary, :D I hope you enjoy it!

    Jessica, you can find The Bartered Bride on Christianbook.com or you can order it straight from Heartsong. It won't be on Amazon for a few more months yet.

    ReplyDelete