Friday, January 29, 2010

The Friday Five


Today's Friday Five is:
Five things I LOVED about Out with the In Crowd by Stephanie Morrill.
1. That it was so compelling I read it straight through, staying up until 2:30 in the morning to finish it.
2. That real life problems with difficult consequences are addressed.
3. The way reading it was effortless. Stephanie is seriously talented. I learned a lot, and found some great little nuggets that I want to practice myself.
4. The Kansas City touches. The Plaza, Johnson County Community College references. I loved living in Kansas City.
5. The ending. Skylar Hoyt grew so much during this story, and yet, I can't wait to see what happens in book three.
OUT WITH THE IN CROWD:
She knew changing her life wouldn't be easy--but she never expected it to be this hard. Skylar Hoyt may have vowed to change her partying ways, but it's not so easy to change her friends. Even though the old Skylar is gone, she's still not sure who this new Skylar really is. Add to that two parents battling for her loyalty, a younger sister struggling with a crisis pregnancy, and a new boyfriend wishing for more of her time, and Skylar feels like she can't win. After all, how do you choose favorites among the people you love most? Stephanie Morrill is a twentysomething living in Kansas with her high school sweetheart-turned-husband and their daughter. She is the author of Me, Just Different and loves writing for teens because her high school years greatly impacted her adult life. That, and it's an excuse to keep playing her music really, really loud.
You can find out more about Stephanie by checking out her blogs:
and
Stephanie has generously offered a giveaway copy of Out With The In Crowd. Leave a comment to be entered to win.
If you don't win the drawing, go get Out With The In Crowd and you won't be disappointed.
Question for you: Were you one of the 'cool kids' in school?
And happy 149th birthday to the state of Kansas. Ad Astra per Aspera.

17 comments:

  1. Yay! I love the covers of STephanie's books! This was is just as fun and fresh looking as her previous.

    Thanks for the review, Erica! And conrats to STephanie on what sounds like another excellent book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far from the cool kids in my own nerdy circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was SO not a cool kid. Not even close! Funny thing was, I had the giant 80's hair and stuff, so I thought of myself as cool, but....I was only cool in my own mind. HAHA!

    I read Stephanie's book straight through too. GREAAT read. (Obviously I don't need to be entered into the drawing :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I've never read her before. Once we start learning writing craft, it's always fun to find a book that we can read effortlessly, with no internal editor banging us in the head.
    It sounds like a great book! Thanks for the review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, to answer your question, no. I was never cool. I'm not sure I was uncool either. Just a quiet loner, always reading, and no one bothered me much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful book!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for having me, Erica. Your best Friday Five yet :)

    I was somewhere in the middle. Like I was on good terms with a few popular girls, but hung out with a separate group of my own.

    I bet you were the most popular girl in your graduating class :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I existed in a strata above the popular crowd (ahem, cough, chortle). As "the smart girl," I was on good terms with pretty much everybody (thanks to being the official Geometry Interpreter for my class), but I never really identified with the popular group.

    And I sat down to refresh my memory on OTWIC, intending to flip through a few chapters, and ended up halfway through before my husband demanded I put it down and come to bed. Given that this was my second or third read, I relented. (Which is to say, I don't need to win it, just had to stop by. Fun take on it!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could see the cool kids. Actually I was friends with an odd mix from many groups, not totally emersed in any one group.

    And Happy Birthday, Kansas! BTW, what does "Ad Astra per Aspera" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ad Astra per Aspera is the state motto.

    To The Stars Through Difficulty.

    :) Yay to my elementary school teachers, I remembered it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog. Good luck!
    Daniel D. Peaceman, writer and editor of Contemporary Horizon Magazine
    E-mail: drgdaniel@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:37 AM

    would LOVE to read this book...thanks for the opportunity :)

    karenk
    kmkuka(at)yahoo(dot)Com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way of ur writing. The post according to days is quite interesting concept.

    Best wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please enter me!

    NO! I was not one of the "IN" kids in school. I floated from group to group trying to fit in! =(

    ladyverlina AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  15. No, I was never a cool kid in school.

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ps I heard about your giveaway at Carman's

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a GREAT book! I would love to win! I was definitely NOT one of the popular crown in school. I didn't want to be either because they were all very snobby.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I reallyyy want to read this book. I'm still in school... and no, I'm not one of the "cool" kids... But in our skool? I can't think of anyone who is actually a "cool kid"...

    Luv,Emii

    ReplyDelete