Wednesday, January 06, 2010

How do you get in the mood to write?


At the moment, I'm winding up a western series for Heartsong Presents. The first book in the series, Clara and the Cowboy, comes out this spring, and the next two, Lily and the Lawman and Maggie and the Maverick will come out in late summer and fall.
This series is very different from my first series, which was set in Duluth during the Gilded Age. The cowboy series is set in 1880's Idaho Territory.
To get into the historical era of The Gilded Age, I read biographies of Vanderbuilts and perused fashion plates from 1905. I read books on shipping, and Duluth, and Great Lakes travels and tragedies. Just flipping through a history book full of pictures of Minnesota history put me in the right frame for the story.
For the cowboy books, I've been reading about ranching, westward expansion, lawmen of the west, even stories of saloon girls and outlaws. And I watch John Wayne movies and read Zane Grey books.
So, how do you get into the mood to write? Do you use music? Movies? Books? Photographs?

6 comments:

  1. I sit down at my computer and force my fingers to obey. That's how I get in the mood. :)

    Usually, the mood strikes at odd times. Usually at times when I'm nowhere near my computer. Like in church during a really great sermon (which is every Sunday), or on my way to work while listening to Jesus music, or while traveling, or reading am awesome book, or in the movie theaters. I should honestly carry a little notepad with me whereever I go.

    I can't wait to read this new series!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Io have to lose a bet in order to be forced to write. (-;

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the above. Music works well. Sometimes I'll be reading and a line will smack me down and I'll have to go to the computer to get my thoughts out.

    Have you watched City Slickers yet? Ha Ha! :D
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you really get into it! I'm not sure I need anything to set the mood--maybe for kidlets not to be attached to my hip and ankles is all I need. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read biographies and stacks of books on the era within which I'm writing. It's been hard to flip eras though. My first is 1600's England. Then I wrote one in middle ages Germany. And my current novel is mid 1800's America. I'm learning a LOT, but sure would be easier on my brain to become an expert in one era rather than flipping all over!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work out to music and that always gets me thinking about my WIP. Plus it takes the edge off the torture.

    ReplyDelete