Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Know the Signs


One of the things I'm doing at the beginning of this year is evaluating all the things I am involved in, the responsibilities I have, and setting up a strategy to accomplish those things.

And I'm trying to decide what I have to cut, and what new things I have room for in my schedule.

One of my downfalls is volunteering, particularly in the areas of leadership and organization. I have to be careful not to over commit. I'm learning to say no now. In the past, I felt if anyone asked, I had to say yes, especially if it was a good thing to do, like something church-related. Guilt is a powerful motivator.




And sometimes I have to take stock and change course, turn around. Cut loose from some responsibilities in order to take up others, or free nyself up from a schedule that is reaching critical mass. And not feel terrible about having to cull your commitments. I have to be realistic. There is only so much I can do and still do it well. I have to prioritize and thin the list until it is doable.
There are some things that can't be cut, culled, or cast off. Things like homeschooling, housekeeping, bookkeeping. Then there's church and writing and the zillion or so things that go along with all of those things. That's when it's time to put my plans into action and get things done.



And above all, I have to remember to yield. I need to be willing to yield my plans and projects to God. I need to be willing to yield my goals and desires, and especially my time-table, when the occasion calls for it. I need to remember to consult Him and be flexible.
How about you? Are you guilty of over-commitment? Do you have a plan for this new year to balance your obligations?

10 comments:

  1. What wise words, Erica. I can't help but relate this to my teaching job. The district wher eI work is intense. Very intense. Very high-academic standards. And we're always getting more shoved onto our plate, only our plate is already full. So there is definitely some culling involved. Some...okay, we have to do this thing, what can we get rid of to fit this in? It's tough!!!

    P.S. Your comment on my blog yesterday really blessed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Erica! While I don't have trouble overcommitting, I still need help with prioritizing. Like you, I've been thinking about what needs to come first and what can wait, etc.

    I hope things balance out for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Erica. I have the same issue as Jessica. I need to learn to prioritize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the signs. Especially the Yield which is a hard one to obey. Don't you wish housekeeping was one of the things you could say no to and drop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so kind to want to jump in and help everyone! I must be missing a critical gene ;) Our day seems pretty full also, but it's mostly kid stuff. Takes a lot of wisdom to know exactly what to cut and what to go forward with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I way overcommit! It's ridiculous sometimes, but I've gotten better. It feel bad when I say no, but I've realized that I have to for my own sanity. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely know what you mean about overcommitting. And that can definitely post a challenge because I like to do the best I can at the things I commit to. I think it's great you're taking a look at everything on your plate and deciding what needs to stay or go. It helps every once in awhile to take that time to reprioritize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sensitive in general to my time. My family and church, then my writing. I tend to cut the fat pretty easily. I've learned the hard way what burn out does to me mentally and emotionally. I do not want to go there again- and neither does God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally, Erica! Especially with the baby coming, both Ben and I are prayerfully looking at our schedules and seeing what can go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a "don't overcommit" goal last year and I was pretty successful. In fact I committed so little that I don't think I did enough service last year. There's got to be a happy medium, but it did feel good to say no when I knew the task would just overwhelm me. :)

    ReplyDelete