Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pie or Cake?


This past Friday I visited with my SIL (waving to Linda) at my favorite writing spot, Caribou Coffee.
During the course of our conversation, she mentioned that she preferred to make cake over pie. Pie was too hard for what you got, and cake was quick and easy.
For me, I've had Linda's pie and cake, and they're both good.
But again, this got me thinking about the writer's life. If you're looking for the quick and easy route, writing isn't it.
Awhile back, my friend Georgiana calculated how much writing time she'd logged since pursuing a writing career. You can read that post HERE. The basic idea, from Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, is that 10,000 hours is about how long it takes to achieve mastery in any area, based on a study of people at the top of their fields.
I calculated the time I'd logged up to then and figured I was somewhere near 8550 hours. And I've got a long way to go, so much more to learn, so much more to write, so many more things to try, to perfect, to polish.
So, are you in it for the long haul? Are you willing to roll out the crust, prepare the filling, lace up the lattice top, and crimp the edges?

11 comments:

  1. YES!!! And I LOVE this analogy because lately I've been trying to think like a baker (as a way to get into my heroine's head) so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, I love this! I am a pie maker! I love, love, love making pies! (cakes...not so much) There is something about fashioning the crust, making it pretty. It is a work of art! Something I can be proud of. I love your analogy to writing. Yes, it takes time, determination, and lots of love to do the hard thing. Hopefully, I have what it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I'm in it. I prefer cakes though. :-) But for writing, I'll keep practicing crimping my crust (which, btw, I'm horrible at)
    Nice analogy Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me hungry! Let's see...I do prefer a good pie, and yes I'm in it for the long haul. Sometimes it seems like it'd be so easy to lay it aside, but it's longer to look back than to look forward. Already invested too much time, LOL! Thanks for the linky love :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, now I want pie. LOL

    Having really "started" with NaNo years ago, I always compare it to a marathon. Either way, it just takes a lot of time...but it's time I enjoy - even when I'm frustrated with it. I'll stick it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope!
    I am willing to settle for bought crusts and homemade filling (with real fruit, chocolate, etc.)

    Now with my "art," I'm a crust-maker (research, talkin' to folks, a dozen drafts...)

    So much time on the craft, the cooking has to suffer a bit...

    Great post!
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to a conference where a woman spoke about the 10,000 hours thing. I absolutely loved it. I think it's so true.

    And I'm a cake girl, through and through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! And I'm going to fill that crust with chocolate filling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, that looks so yummy! I love making pies but I love eating cakes. I'm definitely in this for the long haul, I just need more practice and to get all my ingredients right :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like this analogy! I am in it for the long haul, and am thankful for sweet writer friends to share the journey. I like both pie and cake, but yes, cake is easier to make:)
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete