Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pithy Saying


This week, I heard a quote, attributed to a college basketball coach, though I'm not sure it was original to him. But it really got me to thinking.
Here's the quote:
"Adversity doesn't build character. Adversity reveals character."
Hmm...pithy.
And I think it is true. When put under pressure by adversity, what's inside will come out.
Writers have plenty of chances for their character to be revealed. Rejection, edits, waiting, doubt, bad reviews, deadlines. And the list goes on.
The question is: How are you doing with writer-adversity? Have you had some setbacks? Has it revealed anything to you about your character?

4 comments:

  1. {insert groan} I'm So familiar with setbacks, and I don't even want to think about my responses thus far. I will say, I'm certain I'll get another chance to respond correctly. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adversity does reveal character, and let me tell you I don't half the time like what I see. I believe that God even allows some of this to show me areas in myself that don't line up with His character.

    It can be painful, but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, love that quote. I like what Tamika said too!

    Not much going on with my writing right now. Kiddos and I have been sick but hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that the truth! I think I'm improving in this area, but getting better at anything, including character, takes time and patience.

    ReplyDelete