Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Signing


















Woohoo! I survived my very first book signing! I have lots of folks to thank!

  • First, HUGE thanks to Mary Connealy for first broaching the subject of me signing books with her in Sioux Falls, SD. In my mind, I've dubbed her Awesome Mary. I hope she doesn't mind. :) She made the booksigning so much fun. How cool is it that we were together for my first book signing? Mary's first ever book signing was in Rochester a few years ago, and I was there for that one! Sweet huh? And Mary's been such a cheerleader. Awesome Mary, you rock!

  • Second, thank you to Crossroads Books and Music for hosting us. They had everything all set up, posters up, books set out, and had spread the word so well that folks who had bought our books previously came back to get them signed, and others had purchased the books earlier and left them to be signed. The staff encouraged browsers to stop by our tables, and quite a few of them purchased books and had them signed. The store is beautiful. I wish I had more time to browse.

  • Third, thank you to Angie Brillhart and the Barbour folks for printing the wonderful posters, bookmarks, having the books there. I can't say enough about the fabulous staff at Barbour and how graciously they treat their authors.

  • Fourth, thank you to Rose Z. who drove into Sioux Falls and had lunch with Mary and I and stayed for the entire book signing. She's got a ms under consideration with a publishing house, and I can't wait to hear that it's been snapped up. :)

  • Fifth, thank you to Linda and Heather, who got up practically in the middle of the night to ride along with me.

  • Sixth, thank you to Misti for meeting us at the booksigning. It was so great to see you again. And to all the people who came out and bought books and said hello.

Whew, that's a lot of things to be thankful for.



Here are some things I learned.

  • Mapquest can't always be trusted. I had to stop and get directions to the bookstore. I was about three blocks away. And I was a teensy bit late as a result. ARGH! I HATE being late.
  • Book signings in real life aren't as harrowing as I'd made them out in my head. Silly imagination.
  • Mary Connealy had book signings down to an art. She knows just what to say and how to make people feel at ease...both book buyers and co-signers.
  • It pays to do research...but more about that tomorrow.

Question: Do you like to go to book signings? Whose signings have you been to?

10 comments:

  1. I've never been to one but I'm so glad you had fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a good time. I've never been to a book signing, but I went to a lecture by the late Robert Parker. Very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Sounds like the very "ideal" first book signing! Now will you drive to Michigan to do my first book signing with me?! ;-) Seriously, it sounds like it was the perfect situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! What a cool experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was a huge success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great is that!! All of us who are yet to be published are living vicariously through you! So glad you took pics. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, congratulations! That's wonderful. I want more pictures :D I am sure this is the first of many to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only been to one booksigning but it was very fun and worth getting up in the middle of the night for :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I was there. HOW COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looked like so much fun! You and Mary together sounds like a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete