Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Boys and Beanpoles


This past week I measured my son. Again. He's grown more than seven inches in the past eight months.
I'm not used to looking up to talk to my son. He's almost six feet tall.
So many changes are happening to him, inside and out. He's stretching and growing, physically, emotionally, mentally. He's exploring new vistas, seeing new possibilities, and while this can be exciting, it can also be frightening. He's slowly becoming accustomed to the changes in his life.
I can sorta relate here.
I've been growing and changing and stretching myself. I am becoming more accustomed to the changes in my life over the last few months. I've become easier in talking to people about my books (though I still freeze up when someone asks "So, what's your book about?") I've gotten more used to hearing people's opinions of my work. I've got two books out in the hands of readers, I'm finding reviews and mentions of my name in ever-increasing circles on the Internet. This Friday I will go to my first official booksigning. I'm very glad I won't be alone in the signing. I'll be with Mary Connealy, friend, mentor, and all-around amazing woman.
Question: Have you hit any growth-spurts lately? Are your kids shooting up faster than you can imagine?

8 comments:

  1. That's insane how fast your son is growing!!! No wonder he's eating like a horse!

    Yes, I go through growth spurts....definitely. Sometimes it's a gigantic spurt like your James, and sometimes it's a steady growth...but always growing nonetheless. At least I hope I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changes happen so quickly, we sometimes don't see them coming. This weekend, The Eldest, leaves on a Spring break trip to Rome. The Youngest will be starting college in the Fall. I'm sure it was just yesterday I was taking them by the hand to pre-school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 19-month-old, and he is changing every week! He's growing up so fast.

    I can definitely relate to how you feel about talking about your writing. I'm also learning how to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to the growing son aspect! Mine hasn't hit that incredible physical growth spurt yet, but he's definitely changing!

    And I feel like I'm constantly growing in my writing. Some days it feels like I'm being pulled on the rack! But I'm grateful to God who always finds ways to keep me humble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids are definitely growing quickly and there are many life changes. As for me, I think I'm stuck! Well, maybe their changes are enough for all of us :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently it feels like God's stretching me to trust Him more. YIKES is it difficult to give up that control...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I definitely to through growth spurts! Right now I'm in a slow down in every aspect of writing, but come April 16 - watch out!

    That's crazy how much your son has grown!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My older son is twelve. My wife can wear his clothes now.

    ReplyDelete