Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A tip for Tuesday


The Tip for Tuesday is:
Buy Goal, Motivation & Conflict by Debra Dixon.
I love this book. I read it every time I'm ready to start a new novel. GMC reminds me of exactly what I need when plotting a book. My characters need goals, internal and external, motivation that stems from their pasts, and conflict, internal and external that keeps them from reaching their goals without a maximum of effort and sacrifice.
Debra Dixon uses well-known films, breaking them down by character and plot, to illustrate the need for GMC in order for a story to make sense and to resonate with readers.
If you have any trouble with plotting, or any trouble having conflict arise from your characters personalities and past, this is the book for you.
I encourage you to check it out for yourself. It's one of my 'must have' books on writing.
Question of the day: Do you have a must have writing book? Have you read Dixon's GMC?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I worked through Donald Maass' Writing the Breakout Novel workbook for my last novel and wouldn't you know it, I won another one in a blog contest...so I'll have it for my next book.

    I also really like Berg's, Escaping into the Open and recently read The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell--a must have for writers serious about the craft.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I've never actually read this book, and yet it's one of the biggies! Must put that on the next list. Thanks for the suggestion for an oldie but a goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GMC is an awesome book! I have a few notes typed up as cheat sheets from it that I refer to. I think there's even a workbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No must-have book here, mainly 'cause I'm horrible at reading non-fiction. Definitely have must-have blogs though. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book to have. And the one by James Scott Bell.

    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book. I refer to it over and over again. I attended her GMC seminar once. She would be good to bring in for any conference -- large or small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to get this book. It keeps popping up before my eyes...like it is trying to get my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Better than the book, is to hear her speak. Deb does not tape her workshops either. I have heard her speak four times..and every time I am blown away and learn something new.

    Any of Michael Hauge's DVDs are great...he has books too, but I am visual. Besides The Hero's Two Journeys with Chris Vogler, writing Powerful Movie scenes is awesome.

    He is coming to ACFW this year. DO NOT MISS HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to add this one to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete