Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tip for Tuesday

Today's Writing Tip for Tuesday is:





Subscribe to a magazine for writers.

I subscribe to Writer's Digest. Originally, I purchased the subscription to help out a friend
whose kid was selling magazines for a school fundraiser. Since that time a couple years ago, I've kept up the subscription.

What do I get out of the magazine?

Lots of things!






  • I feel writerly when my magazine arrives.
  • The articles about writing are informative and educational. I learn about the industry in ways I couldn't just from my own circle of experience.
  • I learn about more than just writing fiction. Writer's Digest is full of articles on writing for periodicals, writing poetry, non-fiction, agents, publishing trends, etc.
  • The magazine reminds me of how far I've come and how far I've yet to go.

Question for you: Do you subscribe to a writer's magazine? If so, which one?



7 comments:

  1. I need to break down and subscribe to a writing magazine. I've thought about Writer's Digest, but just haven't done it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for subscribing--and for kindly mentioning our publication on your blog! I'm so happy to hear you find the magazine helpful in your writing life. :)

    All best,
    Jessica Strawser
    Editor, Writer's Digest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to a really cool lady, I also started getting Writers Digest :D LOL, I love your reason #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to, and will again someday when life isn't so crazy. When McKenna was born, all my magazines started piling up, so I decided I'll take a hiatus and rejoin the real world when the kiddos start school :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to get Writer's Digest - and Poets & Writers (wonderful pub). The problem is, I simply don't have time to read them - if I'm not at work, or watching TV/blogging/chores, I'm reading books or writing.

    I did really like getting them though - I totally agree that it makes one feel very "writerly". If I ever have time again, I'll probably resubscribe.

    For now, I just follow along on facebook/twitter, & get the highlights there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherrinda, I really like this magazine. It's well worth the subscription price.

    Jessica, thanks for stopping by the blog. :) And thanks for your work on such a fabo mag.

    Georgiana, #1 is so very true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph, you're having to prioritize a bunch lately. But it does get better...and then you're going to campus previews and filling out FAFSA applications!

    Hey, Jamie, One of the things I like about WD is that it comes out every other month, so if I can't gete to it right away, another one isn't sitting in my TBR pile before I can read them.

    ReplyDelete