Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Whimsical Wednesday



I love nativity sets. I have about a dozen of them. Some stay out all year and some come out only once a year.
I found these two sets at the Manitou Springs Cliff Dwellings Trading Post in Manitou Springs, Colorado this past fall. (And, no, I didn't buy them. They were a bit out of my price range. :-) )
But I did get a kick out of them. Moose? Black Bears?
There might be some out there who don't like nativity sets, and who don't particularly like the whimsicality of animals in the place of people, but there's just something about these that lightened my heart. No, I don't think Mary looked like a moose, nor do I think the sheep would've particularly cared for a Black Bear Shepherd, but these are just fun. :) One of the things I thought was particularly interesting is that in both scenes, there is a beast of burden that is the same species as the wise men and shepherds. :) Like that Moose or Bear drew the short straw and had to play the camel or the donkey in the Christmas pageant.
Question for you: Do you have nativity sets? What's the most unusual one you've seen?
Bonus question: Happy St. Patrick's Day. Are you Irish, and are you wearing green?

7 comments:

  1. I love the black bear set. Too cute and funny.

    Irish only by marriage. My nightshirt is green, but I won't be wearing it all day. Too bad.

    Beannachai na Feile Padraig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute. I don't have any fun nativity sets like those, but I cherish the one I have. An older woman from church who I loved like a grandmother didn't have much money to give me a wedding gift. She gave me her beautiful nativity set instead of buying a gift. It brings me joy and beautiful memories of her every year when I put it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are soooo cute! I saw a kitty nativity set in Virginia, and I really wanted it, but the price was too high!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the moose! I didn't realize that nativity sets came in any species besides human.

    Yes, Irish, but no green. Ah but it's still the wee hours of the mornin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll leave off on what I think about nativity sets ("Harumph," said the curmudgeon.). Ann has the "Precious Moments" set in a glass-doored bookcase at home. I believe it to be filled with "smarminess" (yes, it's a word).

    Maybe this is due to my being about 1/3 Irish, about 1/4 English, about 3/4 Dane and 1/7 other stuff (even some Cherokee, if I trust my aunt's genealogical work). That's a whole lot o'stuff thrown into the mix. But yes, I have a goodly portion of Irish in me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the moose set. We don't have a nativity set. I guess the weirdest ones I've seen include Santa Claus on his knees paying respect to baby Jesus.

    My mother's side goes back to stuffy English, but on my father's side some of the ancestors came from Ireland in the mid 1700's. So there is some Irish blood, but well diluted. And yes I am wearing green and have a corned beef brisket in the crock pot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a mini Precious Moments nativity--my favorite piece is the little black sheep. I also have a very special ceramic nativity that my mom made for me.

    My mom always said we were "League of Nations," but Paul's family is from Appalachia and have lots of red hair. I'm thinkin' Caitlin may have a bit o' the Irish in her, but nobody knows. We went out for Reubens tonight. But only because I didn't feel like cooking!!

    ReplyDelete