Friday, April 30, 2010

The Friday Five

When I graduated from high school, my parents gave me a beautiful Aromatic Cedar chest. It sits at the foot of my bed, and it holds some dear treasures. My husband made a cedar chest for our daughter as a Christmas present last year. She's already started putting treasures in it.

So, here are 5 things that are in my cedar chest.

1. Letters from my husband. When we were dating, we spent a summer apart. I was in Kansas working two jobs, and he was in northern Wisconsin as a boys' counselor at a Bible camp. It was a very long summer, and we exchanged a couple letters a week.

2. Curtain tiebacks and graduation memorabilia. The curtain tiebacks are actually gold braids that my husband and I wore at our graduations from college to signify graduating magna cum laude. There are also our college tassels. Pale blue, because we were both education majors.

3. Awana awards. My kids have been in the AWANA program for years, and each time they move up to a new club, I put their vest or uniform and old books in the cedar chest.

4. A blue coat. When I was a little girl, my grandmother made me a little satin-lined blue fuzzy coat. Actually, it looks a little cookie-monster-ish, but I LOVED it. And I loved that she made it.

5. A scrapbook. I once had to make a presidential election scrapbook as an assignment for government class. To date myself, I'll let you know, it was the Reagan/Mondale election and I was in high school.

So, do you have a cedar chest? What do you keep in it?

8 comments:

  1. Magna what?? Are you telling me that you and your husband are those kind of super smart people who get awards named in latin? LOL

    My mom always had a cedar chest. It was pretty cool. :-) Unfortunately all my memorabilia (letters, diaries, etc) are stuffed in a shoebox in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I graduated high school, the Lane Co. gave each girl a small, cedar lined mini hope chest. I have a few pics of high school friends, my NHS pin and ribbon, and some special cards and letters. Ma has a real hope chest stuffed with curtains, some Capiz shell place cards I never saw her use. She also stored my wedding gown and veil in her hope chest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number four really stuck out to me. It's a book, you know. The Blue Coat. Not really, I just envisioned it as such as I was reading. And never knock the monster. He's my favorite of all of 'em. Num, num, num. ;)

    I have a big plastic bin, does that count? Letters, check. Well, that about sums it up.

    Have a great weekend.
    num. num. num.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hat box that I keep keepsakes in. I have a lot of things my husband gave me when we were dating. I even have the empty bottle of the cologne he wore when I first met him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish! I have many a shoebox and I'm ashamed to admit trash bags full of precious memories. I'm so lame I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sweet you and your husband exchanged letters and you still have them :)

    I don't have a chest or even a memory box type of thing. I am a big fan of pictures, though, to remember all those good times. Last year I started an album for each of my children, too, starting with pictures from their births. I wrote in comments by the pictures also. I am going to keep updating them so they can have them when they grow up and move out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, but now I wish I DID have a cedar chest...although I'm not very good at keeping things, so mine might be empty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We bought my daughter a cedar chest for her 16th birthday. I guess I did it cause I always wanted one like my mother's and never got one. So most my old stuff (and you really dated me with that statement about Reagan) is up in the attic in one blue plastic bin.

    ReplyDelete