Monday, April 05, 2010

Monday Of A New Month

This month I have only one goal. FINISH editing my current WIP and get it off to the crit girls.

Lately I've been doing plenty of 'writerly stuff' but not much writing. Even my husband asked this weekend if I was writing new material again. He thought it seemed like a long time since I had written anything new.

Then he made the mistake of asking my about my current WIP, and he got treated to a twenty minute synopsis, and I got a reminder about that I love this story and I'm excited to work on it.

In order to finish the editing, I need to set some measurable, attainable goals. I have eight more chapters to edit. That means I must complete at least two chapters per week. The editing involves rewriting and reworking a manuscript I wrote a long time ago, so there are lots of things to change. I've learned a lot in the years since I wrote this story. I've found my authorial voice, learned about deep POV, and learned to write much tighter.

So, my goal for this month is to edit two chapters per day and to finish this WIP.

How about you? What are your goals for April?

11 comments:

  1. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up. When did I miss the cover of Clara and the Cowboy?!? It's AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this look.

    Two chapters of editing per day is about right for me. And I want to keep at number 4 before the love of those characters begins to fade.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look of your blog!! And my goal this month is to keep on making progress on my WIP. I'd like to finish it by the beginning of summer so that I can take the summer to edit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same goal as always dancing as fast as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to read the next one--woot! Fly, girl, fly like the wind!

    Let's see...my goal is to finish my first draft before I have to start exercising again. Should be doable. Either that or I'll just have to keep putting off exercising. It must be done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not I have the same goal as you - finish editing my MS. But I have more chapters to do than you! Im having trouble buckling down to get the job done. I need to start saying no to a few other things I think. Good luck to both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your editing goals, Erica. And thanks - your books are providing me with both Mother's Day and birthday gifts this year. ;-)

    This month, I need to get at least half-way through revisions for the novel I'm working on - I want to start submitting in June (equals about 2 chapters per week for me). So I'm pretty focused on that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, isn't the cover delicious? I LOVE it!

    Wendy, you're so right about sticking with a story so you don't lose momentum or enthusiasm. You can do it! :)

    Jody, Thanks about the blog. You're working at a good clip, research, writing, and editing. And summer's coming. We have about 25 more school days here. But who's counting? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. CJ, ain't that the truth? Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm coming or going.

    G- LOL you know what I'd vote for when it comes to exercise vs. writing.

    Jan, I hear you. I feel so scattered right now. I need to just plow through and do the work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jamie, you made my day. Thanks for giving my books as gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your blog layout! It is NICE! And the cover of your new book is LOVELY!!!!

    I have the same goal as you...to finish editing my WIP by the end of April. I keep getting distracted, mainly because it is so difficult for me...I'm procrastinating. :( Here's to editing!

    ReplyDelete