Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Tip For Tuesday

Today's tip for Tuesday is about time.

And taking a little for yourself.




I know it's hard. After all, you most likely feel as if your writing time is your 'me' time. But writing is exhausting as well as exhilerating. It's easy to get drained. Add to that the other responsibilities we all juggle, and before we know it, we're sapped.



I know when I'm working on a first draft, the story can consume me. I'm thinking about it all the time. In the shower, in the car, before I fall asleep at night, while I'm cleaning or grocery shopping. Reading used to be a big escape for me, but that only works now if I'm reading outside the genre I write. If I'm reading historical romance, I tend to read more for a learning experience than for escapism. I'm sizing up the story, the plot, the characters, the craft. What once provided a break from my everyday life now steers me deeper into the writing mode.



I've found I need to find different ways to turn my mind away from the writing world, as wonderful as it is. I have a weekly date with my husband. I go for walks. I listen to music. I play computer games.



I love having this bit of downtime. I come back refreshed and renewed and ready to tackle those goals.



What about you? Do you need downtime? How do you recharge your batteries?

9 comments:

  1. I have to have downtime, whether it is watching a girly romantic movie, reading a book, or playing video games...I love to lay on the couch and play tennis on the Wii. ;) It is a must have in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To recharge, I watch movies and chat with a friend on IM

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good long walk outside helps. Music does too. Playing it very loudly.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to know how Sherrinda lies on the couch and plays Wii tennis. I have to be standing to play tennis.

    Erica, I have to have downtime. I also like to read outside my genre for a relaxing read. But I also make sure I exercise and curly up with my family for a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering the same thing about laying on the couch to play tennis on the Wii. I gotta get me a Wii...

    CJ, IM is :D

    Wendy, I love to play music loud, especially when I'm doing the dreaded e.x.e.r.c.i.z.e.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a good book in a hot bath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh....so we're supposed to have down time. LOL, just kidding. Between books I seem to take time off to putter and play online, read and relax. However, it's hard to relax too much when precious hubby works 12-14 hours a day, because that would just feel wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love down time, but dont like a lot of it. I feel like Im wasting time - except when watching a classic old movie. Then that's considered research right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welll.....it's all in the wrist, ladies! lolol You just get a good flick going and you are set! :)

    ReplyDelete