Monday, May 03, 2010

New Scrapbook Pages

One of the things I've enjoyed over the past 18 months is creating a new scrapbook page for each of my contracted books. My daughter and I (and sometimes my son) go to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and VIP Scrapbook and find stickers, paper, ribbons, and embellishments that create the sort of image I have in my mind of the story.

Since signing a contract to start a new series for Heartsong, we got to go shopping again. :)






The first title in the series is Before The Dawn. Here's a little summary.

Before the Dawn – Karen Worth must convince her fiancĂ© his blindness has not changed her love for him, so she sues him! Citing breach of promise when he calls off the wedding, she demands recompense, though she has no plans to go through with the case. When he marries her to avoid the lawsuit, a battle of wits and wills ensues. Karen wants David’s heart and a return to the love they knew before the accident. David Mackenzie, a mining engineer working for his family’s business, believes he is responsible for the accident that blinded him and killed several others. Bitter at God for taking his sight, he thrusts away all offers of love and help. He’s driven by guilt and anger to uncover the cause of the mine collapse. But the closer he gets to figuring out the mystery, the more it endangers himself and Karen. He must face his worst fears and the truth about his love for Karen in order to save them when the real culprit decides to get rid of the evidence. 

The center paper is cream with wedding vows in gold. Ribbon and lace borders separate it from the back sheet of pink. Roses, hearts, and pearl beads are scattered over the page. The key Scripture passage from the book is Psalm 139, so I've included that reference.  There's also a little key to part of the plot at the bottom right of the little arbor (where I will put a picture of the book cover.)




A Light to my Path – A jaded Sam Mackenzie wants to get home to Martin City and get back to work in his family’s silver mine after finding out the woman he loved only wanted to marry his money. Eldora Carter, bounced around from orphanage to orphanage all her life, only wants a home and the love she's craved all her life. She finds herself in charge of finding homes for three orphans who each have a marked reason why no one would want them. Eldora distrusts Sam, a mine owner, because her own father was killed in a mining accident. Sam considers her a busy-body from the East who judges without first-hand knowledge, too much like his former love. Prejudice and purpose collide when an avalanche threatens the snow-bound train, and Sam Mackenzie must lead the passengers to Martin City on foot. As they struggle with the elements and each other, pre-conceptions are stripped away and their paths intertwine, lighted by love.

I'm currently working on the detail plotting of this story. Ribbons of plot are unrolling from spools in my mind, and I'm trying to unravel them and tie them into pretty bows. :) So far, so good.

For this page, I found a paper with snowy peaks, as well as a long sticker of train tracks (thanks to Thomas the Tank Engine) to divide the upper and lower parts of the paper. Snowflakes, snow-covered trees, old-fashioned luggage, and train ticket stickers embellish the page. The key verse is Psalm 119:105, and I've included it on a sticker with a lacy edge. Also included is a synopsis one paragraph summary of the story, to which I added a lacy sticker edge to echo the one around the key verse.
Stars in Her Eyes – Silas Hamilton, the Martin City minister, is adept at dodging matchmaking mamas and matrimony-minded maidens. The soul of propriety and discretion, imagine his surprise when he finds himself falling for a beautiful actress. Willow Starr, darling of the mining town performance halls, falls hard for Silas Hamilton, but thinks she must refuse his suit, lest she damage his reputation. She feels she’s no fit wife for a minister, especially one as wonderful as Silas. But Silas thinks she possesses all the qualities of generosity and caring as well as talent and tenderness any man would want in a wife. When his congregation forces him to decide, Silas must choose between his calling to the ministry and his love for Willow. When one of the biggest mines in the valley floods, Martin City as a whole and Silas and Willow specifically, learn the meaning of sacrificial love.

I had such a good time with this page. Tan paper with a pale pink border and flowers clustered in one corner, as well as tan paper with a musical score printed on it. Music, flower, and church-related stickers--almost too many, but I had such a hard time narrowing it down. I also chose a poem by Elizabeth Barret Browning, because it fit the story so well.

I love you not only for what you are,
 but for what I am when I am with you.
I love you not only for what you have made of yourself,
 but for what you are making of me.
I love you for that part of me that you bring out.

The key verse for this story is Proverbs 4:18, and I've included it on a sticker.

I just turned the first of these books over to the tender aegis (that one was for you, Kevin) of my crit partners.

I find these scrapbook pages inspiring. Which is a little strange, since I've never been very artsy/crafty. It's a whole different way to get the creative juices flowing, to visualize my stories and express a little of what I feel when I consider the characters and the setting.

What do you do to get the creative juices flowing?

14 comments:

  1. Good job fellow scrapbooker! What a great idea. I will have to show this to my monthly scrapbooking club. Have a great week.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was getting worried when your post didn't show up in my early morning blogroll. LOL I love the scrapbook pages you are creating. I want to come shopping with you for stickers, paper and other toys!

    Sometimes just seeing my paints, inks, colored pencils and paper is enough to make me want to jump in and play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrapbooking really is a whole new way to get the juices flowing, plus it's a way for you to keep the family involved. Great idea!!! And yay for your new series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great! I'm not at scrapbooking, but I admire those who are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea, Erica! What precious memories you'll have of each book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this idea. Like all good moms I've tried to make scrapbooks of our family. And like all good moms the pictures of my youngest are few and far between. But now scrapbooking for my novels...hmmm. That might just jolt me back into doing it for the family again too!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done! I love scrapbooking but I've never made one for myself. Did have a cool idea for a NANO page and saved memorabilia to do it. (Went to a Caribou Coffee Event.)

    Doing something with my hands - gardening, sewing, or scrapbooking is always helpful to getting creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this idea! Such a cool momento and so appropriate, since our books are such a part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to do those pages. And I love your book summaries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo, love the scrapbook pages! How cool to involve your children, and how exciting to have all these wonderful books being published!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool idea!!!
    Your books sound so interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you got your children involved in creating lasting memories of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful way to create a visual synopsis! It's funny... I've been scrapbooking our family photos (it's a massive job that I'm doing just a bit at a time since it includes my parents' collection from way back in the 1940's), but it never occurred to me to do the same for my fictional characters' stories.

    I make collages using pictures from magazines and catalogues... finding images to help me visualize my characters, their homes and locales, etc. The collages usually fit on one or two pages that I put into a plastic sleeve and clip into the front of each novel's binder. There's nothing "artistic" about the collages, unlike scrapbook pages, and they probably take me less time, but I love your idea. It would be much more creative. :)

    ReplyDelete