Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Tip for Tuesday

Today's tip for Tuesday is:

Goal setting.

I love setting goals. I'm all about putting a bull's-eye on the wall and aiming at it. Without goals, I wander around, dabbling at things but not finishing them. Getting easily distracted by the next shiny thing.

That's why I post my goals at the beginning of each month here on the blog. I don't always make my goals, but I'm much more likely to reach them if I define them and post them. (That's tomorrow's blog, Goals for May 2010.)

I have a novel to write. I'm aiming to get it written by July 4th. Doable, especially since we're done with school for the summer. So how do I go about breaking down the process in order to make it easier to see the steps needed to get from here to where I want to be?

First, I get out a calendar. There are 61 days between today and July 4th. Nine of those days are Sundays, and I don't write on Sundays. So we're down to 52 days. I'm going to need about three more days to fine-tune my chapter-by-chapter synopsis/outline. That leaves me 49 writing days. How much would I need to write over the next 49 days to finish a 50K novel?

1020 Words.

That's less than the pace of a NaNo Novel.

I'm going to aim for writing 1500 words a day, which will give me 50K words in about 33 days. Giving me two weeks to do a readthrough and edit before sending Light To My Path off to my critique partners.

So, do you set goals? Do you break big projects down into smaller bites?

10 comments:

  1. I love this, Erica. So methodical and analytical. Goal setting is sometimes the most important first step in meeting our goals. Good luck meeting yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. I'm all about the goals. With my last book, I set a deadline and met it but am not so diligent in getting it reviewed for my critique group as you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so on board with your thinking in this post. I'm trying to get my WIP written and edited before ACFW so I'll have two to pitch. Yowzer. Is taking some strategic planning, but by golly I think it's doable.

    So now I go do. ;)
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to think about my goals but it seems like I break them a lot...At least with writing. With housework I typically finish what I decide to do for the day, but it's stressful. LOL

    Go you with the wordage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your goals. Makes me want to have one =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goal right now is 1,000 words a day. I've pretty much kept up with that (except for yesterday - oops!). I need goals because I'm a huge procrastinator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...now that is goal setting at its finest! Im going to get my calender out and get organized! Thank you so much for this. I needed a boost in the right direction.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love setting goals, particularly for writing. My stories usually end up over 80 K, sometimes 90 K, so I try to write at least 1,500 a day or split it into weekly goals. I'd love to have my WIP completely polished and a new first draft written before September. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to set goals - it keeps me focused. I usually set realistic ones so I'm not sufficiently depressed when they're not achieved! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the goal of making goals. How's that? lol I'm TERRIBLE at goals, because I tend to make them too big, then get down on myself for not reaching them. It is a horrible vicious cycle. But you have inspired me. Really.

    I'm gonna make me a goal.

    ReplyDelete