Friday, June 18, 2010

The Friday Five

A week from tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my mother-in-law's death. I know there are many jokes about mothers-in-law and lots of women don't get along with their husband's mother, but I loved Lorraine, and to my knowledge, there was never a cross word between us. She was one of the most genuinely kind women I have ever met.

So, today's Friday Five:

Five things I loved about Lorraine E. Vetsch

1. She taught me so much about contentment. She could find joy in the simplest things. She never complained, not even when her cancer returned and she had lots to complain about.

2. She taught me to enjoy gardening. Though I will never have the passion for it she had, I now have lots of flowers at my place and together, my sister-in-law and I planted Lorraine's flower garden this spring.

3. Her laugh. She didn't laugh often, but when she did, it was infectious.

4. She loved her family dearly. She always put them first, ahead of her wants.

5. Her humility. She was brilliant, valedictorian of her high school class and her college class. She worked at the Mayo Clinic before her marriage and was highly regarded by the neurosurgeons she worked for. But you never would've known it, because she never bragged about it.

There are so many more things I loved about Lorraine, not the least of which is the way she raised her son, Peter, my husband.  I miss her every day.

6 comments:

  1. Linda8:08 AM

    What a beautiful tribute, Erica, makes me smile through tears.

    I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda, Erica. My mom left this earth for heaven 6 years ago next Friday. Still miss her, though.

    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me teary. That was a beautiful post, Erica. Sounds like she was a pretty amazing woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My MIL was a beautiful woman, too -- my model of the ideal woman of God, pastor's wife, mother and homemaker. She was soft-spoken and loving, but wise and principled and, like you, we never exchanged a harsh word. Much of my ability to serve and survive as a pastor's wife has been because of her example. I wish she were still here so I could thank her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet. She sounds like an amazing woman. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen4:31 PM

    What a beautiful tribute, Erica. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete