Monday, July 05, 2010

Blessed to be a Blessing

Do you remember the hymn Blessed to be a Blessing? I remember singing it growing up, and recently someone told me a story that brought the words of the chorus back to me.

Blessed to be a blessing



Blessed to live Your love


Blessed to share with others every blessing from above


Blessed to walk in mercy


Blessed to light the way


Oh, Blessed to be a blessing every day

A friend of mine from my church, Roxane, is a nurse at a nursing home here in Rochester. She is a wonderful, encouraging lady who has enthusiastically bought my books and eagerly awaited each new arrival. Recently she shared with me that she had taken copies of my books to her co-workers at the nursing home. The co-workers passed them around and read them, and from the feedback, seemed to like them very much.

One particular co-worker brought The Bartered Bride back to Roxane and told Roxane that she had been contemplating suicide until she read the book. This woman could quote parts of the story, and she had memorized the key verse, Proverbs 21:1.

The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

I got goosebumps and teary eyes when Roxane shared with me how one of my stories had such an impact on one of the readers. I write to entertain, to tell a good story that takes the reader to another place and time. I also write to honor God and point people to His love and grace, His forgiveness and provision.

God is so good, blessing me with the opportunity to do something I love that can also be a blessing to others.

How have you been blessed recently?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome Erica!!! I hope I'm being a blessing every day, but I have a feeling it's mostly to family, since they're the only ones I see. Ha!
    I've never heard that hymn but my pastor says that saying a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe inspiring that your story had a higher purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen Plantikow8:52 AM

    Wow, Erica. Your post gave me goosebumps, as well. One just never knows how far-reaching our words and/or actions will be. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...for such a time as this... Amen, Erica. Thank you for being a willing vessel for our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an affirmation you are doing the right thing. Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That woman might be the very reason God gave you the story to write. What a blessing to know you touched a life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story! It's not often that we are given the opportunity to see how our lives and choices have affected others. As Jess mentions, you may have been given a glimpse of why God gave you the inspiration for that story. Blessed again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful feedback and affimration that your stories are fulfilling a purpose in Him.

    ReplyDelete