Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Jackpot!!!

The search has ended. At last. After a search that lasted more than 10 years, I am finally the owner of Essie Summers' The South Horizon Man.

Essie Summers is one of my favorite authors of all time, the writer of more than 50 books, and one of the reasons I wanted to become a novelist.

And The South Horizon Man was the last book of hers that I didn't own. Nearly every time this book has come up for sale, the starting price is somewhere around 200 US dollars. As much as I wanted this book, there was no way I could or would pay that much for it. Then, an alert hit my inbox that BetterWorldBooks had a copy for sale at a very reasonable price. I thought it would be gone by the time I clicked over to the link, but there it still was.

BetterWorldBooks takes donations of books from libraries, schools, and private individuals and resells them. The proceeds from the sales go to fund literacy programs around the world.

A win-win! I got my book, the purchase price went to fund literacy so more people could read more books.

Have you ever hit the jackpot and found a book you've wanted for a long time?

Also, today I'm guest blogging over at http://goteenwriters.blogspot.com/

I hope you'll hop on over an check it out!

11 comments:

  1. My sister and I had a favorite childhood story our mother read to us all the time. I asked about it on Facebook and wouldn't you know, one of my closest friends gave me the title in a matter of seconds. I've found the book and plan to give it to my sister for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are books that I read in high school that I think about and try to find through reseller sites. And often their price is astronomical, so I know how you feel. I've been lucky and been able to find some good ones though.

    Congrats on your find :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the thrill of the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you found it. Yes, there's a book I want but I haven't searched for it. I should...
    Amazing that she wrote fifty books and I've never even heard of her. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda8:23 AM

    Squee! Have you read it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last four Essie Summers books were the quest for me. I paid the most for South Horizon Man, but am still on several book sites so I can let my Essie friends know if they come up. There was a South Horizon Man for $36 recently, and someone in our group got it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Katie! How are revisions going?

    Lisa, what was the book, and what a great gift idea. I have a few books from childhood that I'm still looking for.

    Megan, what books are you looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. CJ, that's part of it, and there's such satisfaction now having a complete set of her books. It's the OCD in me that wanted them ALL...that and she's such a fabulous writer. :)

    Jessica, she wrote for Harlequin Mills & Boon from the 1960's up through the early 1990's, then for Severn House in the late 1990's. She passed away about ten years ago now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, Yep, I read it right away. :) It's wonderful!

    Laurel, thanks for dropping by. I got the book through ABEBooks...who else found a treasure in the group? I miss the lively discussions we used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erica, you should drop back by the Multiply site! We're discussing the books chronologically, with a few related books thrown in for variety! Right now we've just started Anne of Green Gables, and I sure see a lot of influence to Essie in there.
    Carol from the Multiply site got the book, but I'm now signed up for Abebooks.com and will continue to post when the good deals come up. I treasure my own complete collection!

    ReplyDelete