Monday, July 12, 2010

A new love

This past week, I found a new love.

On Twitter of all places.

It's #1k1hr.

The gist of it is: You are shooting to write one thousand words in one hour. And the more of your twitter friends you get to jump in with you and write, the better.

Last week, Katie G. and I played #1k1hr three days in a row, and I wrote more than 6500 words. Lots of fun is to be had as we check in and mark our progress. We encourage, chide, kid, and snipe at each other.

Katie described it as Ritalin for her writing brain. The short time and the friendly competition means it is easier to focus. She is so right!

Hopefully, I will get to play in the afternoons this week. I would love it if the word meter jumped up to about 32K words this week.

Have you tried #1k1hr?

13 comments:

  1. It ROCKS! Let's play some more this week. Can't wait! Especially since I'm getting SO close to Act 3, when things really start to take off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try it. I will. But right now I'm in planning stages and editing.

    Give me a few months and I'll bang the keys with you guys.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soon once I finish editing my current work. But this fall I hope to write again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, haven't tried it but it does sound enticing. I've been withstanding the temptation to get on Twitter because I'm afraid it will be one more temptation to network instead of write. But this has possibilities! I might just have to give it a try. Chase me off if you find me doing more Tweeting than writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sounds like such fun! I hadn't heard of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like fun. I don't do Twitter, but I usually try for 1k in an hour when I have my free time away from kids and other distractions. I hope I get some of that free time this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like fun. But do you turn out writing of quality?

    I will have to check this out.

    Gee, I don't even know if I can do it. See? You've got my brain churning already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey What's your twitter tag? Mine is CassandraFrear. Leave me a comment at my blog or on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool idea! I may just play :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel! I didn't know you were back in LA!

    Cassandra, surprisingly, the work isn't bad, esp since I have a pretty detailed outline to follow. And I can't edit a blank page, so it's better for me to get something down.

    Hey, all, please come play on Twitter! The more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have SO much fun playing with you!!!! Can't wait to do it again! I'm actually hitting the mark above my goal so this is really working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love #1k1hr. I'm kind of addicted now ;)

    ReplyDelete