Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Recipe

It's hot. I'm looking for ways to feed the family that don't involved heating up the house. Here's one of my favorite summertime salads.


Waldorf Salad Recipe


Print Options

Print (no photos)

Print (with photos)

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts

1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced

1/2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced (or a 1/4 cup of raisins)

1 sweet apple, cored and chopped

3 Tbsp mayonnaise

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Salt

Pepper

Lettuce


In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise (or yogurt) and the lemon juice. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. Mix in the apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts. Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce.



Do you have a favorite summer salad?

7 comments:

  1. Uhhh...did you make enough for me?
    LOL
    It looks delicious.

    The yogurt sounds divine with it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? That is exactly what I needed - a good new recipe. Looks fabulous - light and cool. Should be about 90 here today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. Salads are great in the heat of summer. Vietnamese burritos are one of my favorites. I cut up the veggies & everyone makes their own with sauce of their choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love a good cold meal in the summertime. My fave summery salad is Summertime Chicken Salad: diced chicken, minced celery, pineapple tidbits, and mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum... this looks really good. I love that you toast the walnuts... I'd never have thought of that but I bet it adds so much flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love salads of all kinds... haven't had a Waldorf in ages and it would be perfect in our hot weather. I always used raisins but the grapes sound so much lighter. My current favourite salad is spinach and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,

    I noticed that you are using my photo of waldorf salad. I'm delighted that you like it enough to post it here on your site. I ask that if you would like to continue to use it that you provide attribution next to the photo in the form of a working link to the source recipe on my site, which is:

    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/waldorf_salad/

    Thank you so much for your consideration!

    Best,

    Elise

    ReplyDelete