Monday, August 09, 2010

Winner and Wildness


First, the winner of a copy of Lily and the Lawman for telling us her favorite cowboy is:

Jo-Ann

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the story.

Second, Happy Birthday to my Mom. She celebrated her birthday yesterday.


Third, If Blogger wasn't being such a pill, I could post the rest of the pictures that go with the one above. Coming home from our date Friday night, my husband and I happened up on this scene. A huge hot air balloon was spinning, rotating in the air, and coming down.

Firetrucks, police, traffic stopped everywhere. The balloon had a gap open along the side that was catching the slight breeze and making it spin, and making it unable to hold enough hot air to keep it aloft.

Controlling the balloon as best he could, the pilot navigated trees, buildings, and electrical lines, setting the basket down in the median of HWY 14. As it was coming down, we whipped into the parking lot of our bank and took pictures.

The police and sheriff's department stopped traffic, an ambulance and fire equipment stood by, and the Rochester Hot Air Balloon club members with their chase vehicle pulled up and men hopped out. They swarmed the balloon, grabbing onto the basket and trail ropes and horsed it to the ground. In a matter of a couple of minutes, they had it on its side and deflating. Crisis averted, but what a sight to see!

9 comments:

  1. Yay Jo-Ann!

    And you just happen to carry your camera with you to snap photos of near balloon crashes? Or did you take this with your new phone camera?
    (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy canoly! Remind me never to ride in a hot air balloon. I'd be freaking out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, how exciting! :-) We have a huge hot air balloon festival every fall here in my little town. And people from all over the US bring their hot air balloons to launch. It's glorious to sse them all in the sky and even on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hot air balloon shows. They're so exciting and colorful. The kids love running around and collecting cards that the owners hand out. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have been quite a sight! Hopefully Blogger will let you post a few more pics later. I remember seeing the sky full of balloons one summer when we were holidaying in western Oregon. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger can be a pill.

    I don't know if I'd go in a balloon myself, but they're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The precise reason I shall never fly in one of those things! LOL! Happy belated b-day to your mom. What a wild things to see with your husband. All good novel fodder, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:53 AM

    Thank you, Thank you for your book!(I just received it yesterday) I was so surprised because I usually never win!! I can't wait to start reading!

    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete