Sunday, January 09, 2011

Finish Line!

Checkered Flagphoto © 2009 Steve Snodgrass | more info (via: Wylio)
Woohoo! Happy, happy, happy me!

On Saturday, I finished my current WIP, A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas.

Yayayayay! I've been in the writing cave pretty much constantly over the last little while, and it's been pretty intense as I raced to the finish.

On Tuesday, my daughter and I did some book surgery. There was something wrong with the story, something I knew, but couldn't put my finger on. So I printed out everything I had written and went through it out loud. My daughter listened to it, and she didn't even need to say anything. When I got to the part that was wrong, it popped right out at me. When I took out those four paragraphs, voila! All the snags I was running into straightened out.

The problem? One of my characters acted completely out of character and shared some information that he wouldn't have shared because it wasn't in his best interest, and he only did things that benefitted himself.

Instinctively, I knew this. I had written and rewritten that passage several times, trying to make him act the way I wanted, not the way that was true to his character.

Have you ever known something was wrong with a project, but you couldn't put your finger on it?

10 comments:

  1. Woohooo! Congrats. :-)
    Hmm, sometimes I'll know something is off with scene, but I don't think I'm quite good enough yet to catch my bad spots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That's really exciting!
    I've been dealing with one of those problems on my current book, but I think I figured it out today. Now, I just have to go into the manuscript and change it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Erica! How neat that your daughter was willing to help you figure out where you needed to do some minor tweaking. Aren't supportive families the best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for finishing your project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda7:54 AM

    Congrats for another finished book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Go, Erica :D

    Yes, I have written things I knew were wrong...then tried to sneak it past crit partners hoping no one would notice.

    Silly, me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Yes, and then I didn't want to check cause I just finished and most likely was sick of the book. Have you ever been sick of your WIP?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your WIP! Yay! Yes, I've definitely had scenes or chunks of a story that didn't work but it's not always as easy to figure out why :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! And can I say, I'm jealous that you have such an awesome daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finishing, and yes, I've had a couple spots that weren't quite right in the novel I recently rewrote. Another author who read it for me discovered them -- places where I wasn't in the MC's head and I had him sounding like me instead of saying things the way he naturally would. Reading out loud can be very revealing, but it's wonderful to have helpful friends and family, too.

    ReplyDelete