Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The New Project

I'd like to introduce you to Willow Starr, actress, singer, and entertainer. Darling of the Colorado mining towns.

Willow is the heroine of my next book, Stars in Her Eyes. Actually, the photograph is of actress Maude Adams. Isn't she beautiful? So striking. I knew the moment I saw this picture, she was the heroine I'd been looking for.


And this is my hero, Silas Hamilton, who in real life is country music singer Josh Turner.  Silas is well-used to dodging matchmaking mamas and matrimony-minded maidens, but he won't know what hit him when he crosses paths with Willow Starr.

I enjoy finding photographs to help me visualize my characters. It's one of the reasons I like book covers with people on them. I am really looking forward to getting a gander at some new book covers soon.

Are you a visual person? Do you prefer book covers with people on them? Is there a style of cover you like the best?

13 comments:

  1. She's very beautiful! I'm not visual at all. I rarely have an idea of what my characters look like, beyond the basics. As for covers, I usually prefer non-people ones, or ones where the person is in profile or silhouetted. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these two pics!! Especially the girl. Wow. And her character sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo of the woman. Does your hero have a deep voice like Josh Turner? :) I prefer book covers that show people but don't reveal their faces. I'm still waiting to see my first book cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool. And she is striking.

    I have a few saved on my computer, even from novels that might never get published and a few pictures ripped from magazines.

    I'm a big time visual gal.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maude was a real beauty. Josh looks a bit Heathy to me (-;

    ReplyDelete
  6. They make a cute couple!

    Here's how picky I am: I like book covers with people, but that show the faces at 3/4 so I have a vague idea, but I don't have to change my image of the character to fit the book. I'm not crazy about all the heads chopped off, but there seem to be several that have that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so interesting. I hadn't thought about it before. I prefer book covers without people for some reason. I think I like to create them in my own mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda9:49 AM

    I like book covers with people, but I like them in the distance or turned, liked Georgiana said, to leave some room to the imagination.

    This sounds like another fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Willow and Silas. How nice to meet you. I'm looking forward to your story. :)

    I think I've mentioned before that I do collages for my novels, including pictures of people that fit the image I have for my characters, and items that are significant to the plot. It helps to keep myself in the world of my story as it is developing.

    Book covers with landscapes, or where people don't dominate, are my favourites. I like to get my mental image of the characters from the author's words, not from a model on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie, I think Silas will have to have Josh Turner's voice. SA-WOON!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CJ - everybody looks Heathy to you. You see the world through Heath-tinted specs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a visual person and use LOTS of pictures when I'm writing for inspiration. (Love your "Starr" photo!)But funny thing, I'm not huge on people on covers... it keeps me from seeing the character how I want to see them. I know... I'm weird. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those pics, Erica! And a huge congrats to you on your big awards and your new sale!

    ReplyDelete