Monday, February 07, 2011

A little poll

75/365 Hugs are Healingphoto © 2010 Ganesha Balunsat | more info (via: Wylio)
If you check the sidebar to the right, you'll see a little poll I'm running.

I've been thinking a lot lately about character quirks and how adding a few here and there can really affect who your character is and how they react in given situations.

This thinking has caused me to become more observant, especially those close to me--especially myself.

I'm a 'gimme my space, don't try to hug me or I'll go ninja on you' kinda girl. I don't naturally hug people--except those in my own family.

My son is a hugger. He's apt to break out in a spontaneous drive by 'mugging' at any time. He needs hugs from his mom to fill up his 'I am loved' cup.

I'm trying to figure out how to work this trait into one of my stories. I've got some mail-order bride novellas coming up, and I've been toying with the idea of making one of the brides a spontaneous hugger and her groom a 'keep your distance' kinda guy. :) One will have to convince the other that they should change their ways. I'm putting my money on the bride. :D

How about you? Please take the time to take the poll, then let me know if you've ever used this character trait or something similar in a story.

15 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the hugger-friendly bride with the non-hugger-friendly groom. It would be fun to see how this plays out in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the poll! I'm a hugger usually. So I chose the second option. I think that quirk could be a fun one to write...especially if the romantic interest is the opposite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attending conferences where strangers glom onto you, makes my little inner Puritan tremble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime. Anywhere. But you probably could have guessed that. You do realize that now I am going to tackle you for a hug at the next ACFW conference! ;D
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica, I can teach you a good, polite evasive move to end run huggers (-;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, my friends have tried to have interventions before. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. A true gotta-have-my-space person often has an underlying reason for that. Don't let her override him too harshly, or some readers may be severely turned off. The hairs are standing up on the back of my neck, thinking about her hug-raping him all the time. (In case you can't tell, I'm in the stay-away category. :-) Although, I seem to remember a spontaneous hug between us before we parted ways this summer. Relationship trumps personal space, but it's required. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel, excellent point. My mind is already scrambling for why is she a hugger, why isn't he? Each has to be properly motivated for why they do something, and a stronger motivation has to come along for change.

    I'm not a hugger by nature, but I will hug my husband anytime, anywhere. Relationship trumps personal space. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two things come to mind. One, why not turn the seemingly logical on its head? Instead of the more common female hugger/male avoider, why not flip that?

    Two, read Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages. Yes, touch is one of the five, but 'complex' it up a bit by making sure that other languages are represented, too, as it gives lots of room for miscommunication. The other four are gift-giving, time, acts of service, and words of affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took the poll last week. You know, I'm a hugger, but I always ask can I give you a hug? I know people will never say no even if they are uncomfortable, but at least I warn people, right? A few people have said, no, I'm just getting over a cold/flu. Then I tend to take a big step back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Valerie's idea. It's how it happened for me. But hubby had some work to get through those walls. God's plan is always perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your idea of that particular character quirk for your bride and groom to differ on. Sounds fun!

    I love thinking of fun quirks to put in my stories but sometimes it's a challenge. I think I need to do like you are and really try hard to do more observing of the people around me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, nada, no-how. Not a hugger, BUT depending on the person and circumstance--like when I see you :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. My stepson isn't a hugger. He sort of goes limp... when he puts his arms around us in 'hugging pretense' we barely feel them. He's 6'2" and 250 lbs of dark and handsome. This is going to cause problems some day. :(

    I'm not much of a hugger either. My husband says I quit breathing so you'd better hug me fast or I might pass out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a hugger most of the time. I think this will work really well in your story! Physical space is so important to some people. :)

    ReplyDelete