Friday, March 18, 2011

The Friday Five

I took this picture at the Jo Daviess County Historical Society because it made me laugh. It's a moustache cup. But it's a PINK moustache cup. What self respecting Victorian man, head of the house, king of his castle, wearer of the walrus moustache, would drink out of such a sissy cup???

This week's Friday Five is

Five great things about a writing retreat weekend.

1. Getting to hang with Katie. :D

2. Getting to talk about writing with someone who totally gets it!

3. Putting an insane number of words on my WIP and getting into the meat of the conflict.

4. Visiting an amazing town. The town of Galena is an historical gem. Most all of the town is on the National Historic Register, and everything is pristine. Brick buildings everywhere, at least four white spires (looked like something out of a Norman Rockwell) with mansions and museums on every block. Historical Writer Heaven!

5. Though I was exhausted when I got home, I was also rejuvenated, much like I am when I get home from the ACFW Conference in September. If possible, I would suggest a mid-year writing weekend to keep those creative juices flowing and charge those writer batteries.

The only downside to the whole weekend was that it ended too soon!

What do you think you would like or not like about a writing retreat?

9 comments:

  1. I'm laughing over that pink cup! Maybe it was his wife's subtle way of telling hubby she hated the fur under his nose? Pink moustache cup or shave, dear, your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, Erica! First of all, I guess I've been completely mistaken about what a mustache cup actually was---I thought it was the cups that men would keep at their barber's to be used only by them when they came in for a shave. What is a mustache cup exactly? I see a unique shape to it in the photo. And, no matter, I'm like you---I can't picture a man choosing to use a pink one!

    On your mini-retreat with Katie, did she go to the museums and historic sites with you or did you go solo? I've found that my husband and my son are the only ones who appreciate that kind of stuff and I can't imagine going with any of my friends, unfortunately.

    It's great that you and Katie click so well. I'm sure it is nice to spend time with someone (other than family) who really "gets" your passion and commitment to writing. I've never been to a conference or retreat. I tend to be intimidated by other people who really know what they are doing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda9:09 AM

    That cup is beautiful and hilarious! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, I recently heard that a hundred years or so ago the colors for babies were opposite of what they are today. And in Siri Mitchell's latest book, the Italian terrorists a hundred years ago used pink, as well.

    I wish I could remember where I read that about the baby colors. Anyone else ever heard that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. CJ! Maybe that was it!

    Mary, a moustache cup was used so a man wouldn't get anything on his moustache while enjoying his latte. The china 'bridge' across the side guarded the face-hair from the foam.

    Linda, you'd love the museums in Galena. Maybe we should plan a getaway there just for the girls.

    Sally, I think I heard that somewhere too, but I can't think where.

    One person, who shall remain nameless (LINDA!) suggested perhaps the moustache cup was for grandma... LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved to hang out with you and Katie in Galena! I love that town!

    My RWA group has an annual brainstorming retreat. We have so much fun, and we help each other with ideas to flesh out our books. It's a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would LOVE a writing retreat. I'm so jealous that you got to go away with Katie... sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I'd love to add a cup like that to my tea cup collection! And pink? Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best part of a writing retreat for me would be getting away from all the ordinary day-to-day distractions, to concentrate solely on writing for a whole weekend. Heavenly! Conferences are wonderful, too, and I loved hoteling with my daughter at the last few I've attended. But the days are so full, and at the end of each day we're too tired to write.

    Love that cup even if I don't like moustaches. :)

    ReplyDelete